Error during imprt / rebuilding database

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
Matze

Error during imprt / rebuilding database

Post by Matze »

Hi there,

having upgraded Sierra to 10.12.6 an error occured when opening InfoClick

"An error occured during the import. The file couldn't be opened"

I tried to rebuild the database, but it failed because I can not choose a mail folder. (see jpg.)

Any hints, what I have to do to solve the problem?

Best, Matze
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-30 um 14.01.54.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-30 um 14.01.54.png (57.54 KiB) Viewed 18295 times
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-30 um 14.05.05.png
Bildschirmfoto 2017-07-30 um 14.05.05.png (97.54 KiB) Viewed 18295 times
Bob Stern

Re: Error during imprt / rebuilding database

Post by Bob Stern »

In OS X 10.12 (Sierra), the mail folder is ~/Library/Mail/V4/.

V2 is from a much older version of OS X.

Also, you should select the V4 folder itself, not the MailData folder inside the V4 folder. The mailboxes with your messages are in the top level of V4, not the MailData folder. MailData contains your rules, smart folders, and the index to your messages, but not the messages themselves.

I suspect InfoClick would work fine if you simply select ~/Library/Mail/ without worrying about V2 versus V4, but selecting V4 might be helpful if you still have old mailboxes in V2 or V3.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Hi Bob,

thank you for your suggestions.
If I select V4 or Mail folder, I got the error message as well.

Best, Matze
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Bob Stern wrote:I suspect InfoClick would work fine if you simply select ~/Library/Mail/ without worrying about V2 versus V4
This is exactly right and is the recommended way to configure InfoClick. If you select the main Mail folder all its subfolders will be indexed, V2 and/or V4. Same thing with any future subfolders, if Apple changes the naming again.

The only other consideration is that maybe you'll need to add Apple Mail's sandbox container folder too. Apple sometimes (but not always) uses the following folder to store email:

Code: Select all

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.mail
It's good to add that in addition to Library/Mail to cover all the possible places Apple Mail may store emails.

But this is getting away from the original problem:
Bookmark data could not be captured
This indicates a problem with the system (macOS) sandbox. For whatever reason the system isn't allowing InfoClick to capture a bookmark for the email folder. A bookmark is just a fancy kind of alias that tracks a file or folder on disk, and also persists access. When you select a folder InfoClick should be allowed to capture a bookmark for it, so InfoClick can continue to look for new email in the future.

I recommend that you reset InfoClick completely. The pertinent task is deleting InfoClick's sandbox container so that the system recreates it. That usually solves this problem. If you need any help please let us know.
Matze

Post by Matze »

Thank you Martin, resetting InfoClick completely did help.