Interrupted database indexing: must it always start over again?

Talk about InfoClick, our email search tool.
kevingan

Interrupted database indexing: must it always start over again?

Post by kevingan »

I'm upgrading to 1.2.7 from 1.2.5, so I began the new indexing procedure. I have about 600,000 emails, and when the window showed 100,000+, I decided to close the window. In hindsight....

Closing the window seems to have interrupted the actual indexing. (I was going from the paradigm of an Apple System install, which always picks up where it left off if interrupted.) After failing to find the indexing window or a way a way to reopen it, I gave the rebuild database command, but the process appears to have started again from scratch. (Currently at 14K +) Was there a workaround that I missed?

If it always starts over after crash or interruption, is there a way to pause the indexing that doesn't crash the process and necessitate starting over? If not, consider this a feature suggestion! Thanks for info.

Kevin
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Interrupted database indexing: must it always start over again?

Post by martin »

Thank you for the feedback Kevin. Your suggestions seem like good ideas to me. It would be nice if you could pause indexing, and at the least it should be more clear what's going on if you close the progress window without explicitly cancelling. Thanks again, and sorry for the confusion.
nicka

Re: Interrupted database indexing: must it always start over again?

Post by nicka »

A quick note to agree with the OP and ask if Nisus is working on that pause button.

I'm currently looking at a dialogue box that estimates 83+ hours to finish indexing my emails. I don't want to stop the indexing because it's nearly halfway (154,000 out of 375,000 emails). But the indexing slows my computer down to the point that it's barely usable, makes it run hot with fans going the whole time and consumes a lot of battery power. We desperately need a pause button or some way to schedule indexing to run only when on mains power and when the Mac isn't being used for other things.