NWP Margin Marks

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
deltanick

NWP Margin Marks

Post by deltanick »

I haven't used NWP very much, but am transitioning over from another word processor, so I haven't figured this out yet, or even if it DOES have the solution I seek.

After making several changes in a NWP 3.0 document, I have a bunch of icons and other marks, in the margin, showing that some editing changes have been made. I remember Microsoft Word also has similar markings, but one can make them go away somehow when finalizing the document (comments, for example). One of the margin marks in NWP, for example, is a small ruler.

So, is there a way that I can incorporate those changes and then make the marks disappear, once saved? The document becomes quite cluttered with these markings, and I can understand why they are there. But when the document is finalized, can I make them go away?

DeltaNick
adryan

Re: NWP Margin Marks

Post by adryan »

G’day, DeltaNick et al

Such things are dealt with using commands in the View menu, most of which act as toggles (invoke once to perform the action, invoke again to reverse it). For example, the “Show Paragraph Formatting Icons” command will show/hide the little rulers.

You could assemble a set of such commands as a list in a Nisus Macro document (perhaps titled “Toggle Marker Visibility”) and run the macro whenever you wanted. In this situation, though, you need to be mindful that use of any of the listed commands outside the macro (ie, by directly accessing them from the View menu) could result in perplexing behavior on subsequent use of the macro. Invoking such a command an odd number of times will mean that the macro will show some markers but hide others. You would have to reset some of the markers manually in order to get uniform results from the macro once more.

What I have said relates to visibility. When it comes to actually removing Comments or Tracked Changes, use commands in the Tools menu. Just be careful with the Changes one, though.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

Adryan to the rescue! Thanks again for your attention to my ignorance.

Since I last posted to the forum, yesterday, I discovered the "Show Paragraph Formatting Icons” toggle. I’ve tried editing my “Nisus New File.dot” file, but it remains "On," each time I open a new document. How can I turn the "Show Paragraph Formatting Icons” toggle "Off" as the default setting in all new files?

deltanick
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, deltanick et al

Nisus Writer Pro > Preferences > Nisus New File > View

Ensure the “Show Paragraph Formatting Icons” checkbox is unticked.

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

Adryan,

You must've designed NWP!

Thank you.

Nick
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Nick et al

You flatter me! In all conscience, I really can’t take all the credit. Every now and then I get a bit of help from the likes of Philip, xiamenese, Vanceone, Þorvarður — just to mention a few of the resources I keep in my bottom drawer. Oh, and occasionally Martin lends a hand….

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura
deltanick

Post by deltanick »

But you're ALWAYS there first, Adryan!

Medical personnel call the first hour after a serious injury "The Golden Hour," during which the life can be saved, permanent injury often totally diminished.

This thread doesn't show the assistance you've rendered to me before, but it is GREATLY appreciated!
adryan

Post by adryan »

G’day, Nick et al

Thanks for the kind words, Nick. But I think they could apply equally well to others here too.

I think all of us here try to help people solve their problems as quickly as they can. The reason that I, on occasions where I might have something to offer, can sometimes end up being first cab off the rank is purely an accident of time zone, I think.

One also has to bear in mind that others may have spent some time researching and writing up a solution, only to find, when they go to submit it to the forum, that someone else in the interim has posted an adequate reply, so they don’t bother posting themselves. I know this has happened to me quite a few times. But that’s OK. The important thing is that the person with the problem gets a timely solution. The point is, it’s often quite accidental whose response appears first.

And there are vastly more occasions where I don’t think I can offer a solution. Then I just do what I suspect many of us do in such circumstances: wait for Martin or Philip!

Cheers,
Adrian
macOS Ventura