Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser
Posts: 265
Joined: 2011-01-12 05:32:38

Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by NisusUser » 2014-07-31 20:26:17

I have lots of MenuKeys defined in NWP 2.0.7, also I've set several other preferences. How can I copy everything to a different computer, so that when I use it, it's all just the same as this one? Thanks!

EDIT: May I add a non-Nisus question? I have also saved many characters to "Favorites" in the Character Viewer that shows up when I select the language flag in the Menu Bar (see screenshot). How could I copy them to a different computer?
Attachments
Sample Favorites in Character Viewer.png
Sample Favorites in Character Viewer.png (33.06 KiB) Viewed 7987 times

User avatar
Hamid
Posts: 739
Joined: 2007-01-17 03:25:42

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by Hamid » 2014-08-01 01:23:22

NisusUser wrote:I have lots of MenuKeys defined in NWP 2.0.7, also I've set several other preferences. How can I copy everything to a different computer, so that when I use it, it's all just the same as this one? Thanks!
Quit NWP on both machines if it is running. Then copy the following files from your Home Library to the corresponding location on the other machine:
Preferences/com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist
Preferences/com.nisus.NisusWriter.LSSharedFileList.plist
Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Document Manager Window Settings
Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/Document Manager Settings
NisusUser wrote:EDIT: May I add a non-Nisus question? I have also saved many characters to "Favorites" in the Character Viewer that shows up when I select the language flag in the Menu Bar (see screenshot). How could I copy them to a different computer?
From your Home Library, copy the following file to the corresponding location on the other machine:

Preferences/com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist

If you also have 'Favorites' added from the Fonts panel, copy the following file from your Home Library:

FontCollections/com.apple.Favorites.collection

NisusUser
Posts: 265
Joined: 2011-01-12 05:32:38

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by NisusUser » 2014-08-01 02:32:31

Thank you, Hamid!

As for the NWP stuff, looks as if it'll work. (I've not yet copied it to the other machine).

And I was thrilled that you showed me how to save Favorite Characters. However, when I went to look in Home > Preferences > com.apple.*, I don't have one named "com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist". I do have (on Snow Leopard) one called "com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist". Might that be it? If I copy it to a machine with Mavericks, do you think I should change the name to the same as in your original post?

As for your note about Favorite Fonts, hmm… Where is the font panel you spoke of?

I appreciate your help!
Eric

NisusUser
Posts: 265
Joined: 2011-01-12 05:32:38

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by NisusUser » 2014-08-01 03:03:34

I did copy "com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist" to the Mavericks computer. No favorites show up, though, even after a re-start. However, I couldn't copy the "com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist" file, since I can't find one on the Snow Leopard computer.

User avatar
Hamid
Posts: 739
Joined: 2007-01-17 03:25:42

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by Hamid » 2014-08-01 03:07:38

NisusUser wrote: [...] I don't have one named "com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist". I do have (on Snow Leopard) one called "com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist". Might that be it? If I copy it to a machine with Mavericks, do you think I should change the name to the same as in your original post?
You can copy the file without changing the name.
NisusUser wrote:As for your note about Favorite Fonts, hmm… Where is the font panel you spoke of?
Eric
Please view this post:
http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... it=#p24245

User avatar
Hamid
Posts: 739
Joined: 2007-01-17 03:25:42

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by Hamid » 2014-08-01 09:12:58

NisusUser wrote:I did copy "com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist" to the Mavericks computer. No favorites show up, though, even after a re-start. However, I couldn't copy the "com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist" file, since I can't find one on the Snow Leopard computer.
I have both these files in the Preferences folder:
com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist (It updates when I dismiss Character Viewer.)
com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist (It updates only when I add a character to Favorites or remove a character from Favorites in Character Viewer.)

NisusUser
Posts: 265
Joined: 2011-01-12 05:32:38

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by NisusUser » 2014-08-01 09:49:55

Interesting enough, I only have com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist on the Snow Leopard machine (at least that I can find). I opened it in TextWrangler, and it has the favorites in it. But putting it in Home/Library/Preferences on the Mavericks machine didn't seem to work. I checked again in the Preferences folder and clicked to change the order of sort, etc., and I don't seem to have com.apple.CharacterPicker.plist (see screenshot). I wonder where else it might be? I checked the root folder's Preferences file, too, and it's not there either. Strange.
Attachments
com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist and other preference files.png
com.apple.CharacterPaletteIM.plist and other preference files.png (36.56 KiB) Viewed 7954 times

mountainman
Posts: 161
Joined: 2007-01-17 04:01:44

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by mountainman » 2015-04-24 01:38:05

The procedure posted by Martin (using Terminal) worked for preferences. But I would like to copy not only preferences, but also my style library, macros, glossaries, etc. to my other computer. Does anyone know how to do this?

User avatar
phspaelti
Posts: 1043
Joined: 2007-02-07 00:58:12
Location: Japan

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by phspaelti » 2015-04-24 02:01:25

mountainman wrote:The procedure posted by Martin (using Terminal) worked for preferences. But I would like to copy not only preferences, but also my style library, macros, glossaries, etc. to my other computer. Does anyone know how to do this?
There are four folders in your Nisus Documents folder: Glossaries, Macros, Style Libraries, and Templates. (The last one contains the New File templates, at least). Just copy those over to your other machine.
philip

mountainman
Posts: 161
Joined: 2007-01-17 04:01:44

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by mountainman » 2015-04-24 23:32:10

[quote="phspaelti"][quote="mountainman"]The procedure posted by Martin (using Terminal) worked for preferences. But I would like to copy not only preferences, but also my style library, macros, glossaries, etc. to my other computer. Does anyone know how to do this?[/quote]
There are four folders in your [b]Nisus Documents[/b] folder: Glossaries, Macros, Style Libraries, and Templates. (The last one contains the New File templates, at least). Just copy those over to your other machine.[/quote]

Thanks. Since copying preferences requires Terminal, I didn't think it could be that easy.

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4605
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by martin » 2015-04-27 15:12:34

Just to be clear, mountain man was following instructions from our FAQ on moving keyboards shortcuts between computers.
mountainman wrote:Thanks. Since copying preferences requires Terminal, I didn't think it could be that easy.
Preferences are difficult to copy between Macs because they are stored and cached in memory (RAM) by the system (OSX). Ultimately Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) should probably adopt iCloud syncing for some preferences, which would automatically sync them between all Macs using the same iCloud login.

Other support files, like Templates, are just kept in plain files, so they are easier to sync. One other solution: choose a Document Manager location that sits inside a folder that is already automatically synced, eg: Dropbox, iCloud Drive, etc.

mountainman
Posts: 161
Joined: 2007-01-17 04:01:44

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by mountainman » 2015-04-28 01:39:58

[quote="phspaelti"][quote="mountainman"]The procedure posted by Martin (using Terminal) worked for preferences. But I would like to copy not only preferences, but also my style library, macros, glossaries, etc. to my other computer. Does anyone know how to do this?[/quote]
There are four folders in your [b]Nisus Documents[/b] folder: Glossaries, Macros, Style Libraries, and Templates. (The last one contains the New File templates, at least). Just copy those over to your other machine.[/quote]

No "Nisus Documents" folder had been created in the Documents folder (I thought Pro would do that when being launched for the first time), so I made it myself and then copied those four folders into it. My style libraries showed up, so I'm pleased about that. However, glossaries and macros have yet to make an appearance. I relaunched Pro and even rebooted the system on the assumption that doing so might be necessary, but they still refuse to appear.

Did I overlook something?

martin
Official Nisus Person
Posts: 4605
Joined: 2002-07-11 17:14:10
Location: San Diego, CA
Contact:

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by martin » 2015-04-28 10:07:40

mountainman wrote:No "Nisus Documents" folder had been created in the Documents folder (I thought Pro would do that when being launched for the first time), so I made it myself and then copied those four folders into it.
You'll want to make sure Nisus Writer Pro (NWP) is configured to actually use that folder by choosing it as your Document Manager folder. You can do so by:
1. Opening your NWP preferences.
2. Switching to the "Doc Manager" pane.
3. Clicking the "Choose" button to set the location of your Document Manager.

You can choose any folder you'd like, but a folder called "Nisus Documents" is a fine choice. Once selected, that folder is where NWP will store templates, macros, etc.

mountainman
Posts: 161
Joined: 2007-01-17 04:01:44

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by mountainman » 2015-04-28 20:31:13

The Nisus Documents folder was already chosen, but I did it again just to make sure, then quit and relaunched Pro. However, the macros and glossaries still don't show up.

BTW, in QuickFix there is also a "Fix typos" table. On my desktop machine I completely changed the ex-factory set with my own set. I would also like to move this set to my MacBook Air. Where are these stored, and is it possible to move them to another machine?

User avatar
phspaelti
Posts: 1043
Joined: 2007-02-07 00:58:12
Location: Japan

Re: Copy all NWP settings to another computer

Post by phspaelti » 2015-04-28 22:04:35

mountainman wrote:The Nisus Documents folder was already chosen, but I did it again just to make sure, then quit and relaunched Pro. However, the macros and glossaries still don't show up.
What do you mean "they don't show up"? Are none of the macros in your macro folder loaded? Is your macro menu empty? Do your glossaries not expand?
(Note that the macro and glossary folder do not appear in the Document manager.)
philip

Post Reply