Split Document View: Feature Request

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bob Stern

Split Document View: Feature Request

Post by Bob Stern »

Rather than adding this to the "Feature Request" thread, I thought I'd create a new thread to attract the attention of any other users who would like to see this feature.

This would be an extremely valuable feature to me. My current workaround is to duplicate the document in the Finder and to display both copies side-by-side.

The problem with this workaround is that sometimes I inadvertently edit the copy instead of the original, and then I have to merge my two sets of edits.
scottwhitlock

Re: Split Document View: Feature Request

Post by scottwhitlock »

You have my vote.
MacBook Pro 15
2.66 Ghz Core i7
8GB RAM
NWP 2.0.4
iPad 3
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

You're right, it's better as a separate request.

This also has my vote.
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
haver

Post by haver »

You also have my vote here.
jtranter

Post by jtranter »

My vote too. :idea:
hhoffner

Post by hhoffner »

I have wanted this feature for years. By all means, yes. :idea:
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

We definitely like to hear from our customers about the features they need– thanks everyone.
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

Please, please, please, בבקשׁה, put this feature at the top of your list for the next version!
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

I would certainly be in favor of this as well.

But it reminds me of a related topic. I sometimes work with files cross-application. So I will have a file open in several applications at once. I then open the file in Nisus too, run a macro and save. When I switch to the other application(s) the changes are reflected there immediately. The reverse is not true. I guess I understand that Nisus has its own internal translation thing going on since it is working with formatted text. (Those other apps are "text only".) So is that the limitation? Otherwise it would seem to be possible for Nisus to have two copies of the document open and have the second reflect the changes in the first. Just a thought.
philip
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

phspaelti wrote:I sometimes work with files cross-application. So I will have a file open in several applications at once. I then open the file in Nisus too, run a macro and save. When I switch to the other application(s) the changes are reflected there immediately. The reverse is not true. I guess I understand that Nisus has its own internal translation thing going on since it is working with formatted text. (Those other apps are "text only".) So is that the limitation?
There's no reason NWP couldn't detect this situation and (at the very least) ask you if you'd like to reload the file from disk. I'll file it as a feature suggestion, thanks Philip.
ChuckKenter

Post by ChuckKenter »

I absolutely support this. Lack of this feature is my main, indeed only, reason for not recommending Nisus writer to others as a replacement for Word
Ojwatson

Post by Ojwatson »

Most distressing missing feature for me too - please please implement for an otherwise enthusiastic user...
lgreen

Post by lgreen »

It gets my vote as well!
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

My wholehearted support for split document view in combination with *parallel scrolling*. Plus parallel scrolling of two or more independent document windows (like in old Nisus Writer 6.5, where you could additionally hold the Shift key while you were scrolling). Parallel scrolling is especially important for translators.
ptram

Post by ptram »

As for the split screen, I would suggest to install the macro I cited in this thread as a very effective workaround:

http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3464

It has been noted that the text in the second window does not update dynamically, but I found it very easy to repeat the macro each time I need a refresh of that window (I found this a very rare event in my own work).

Maybe the macro discussed in this thread could help making the resulting windows parallel:

http://nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3681

Paolo