Spelling Dictionary Issues

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
kirkesque

Spelling Dictionary Issues

Post by kirkesque »

Of late, I have found that using spell check is becoming useless. The number of misspelled words it doesn't catch is atrocious. I have taken to misspelling words just to see if it catches them and it doesn't. For professional and academic texts, this is unforgivable. Unforgivable that I don't stop the writing flow to look up everything, but typos still creep in. Spell check is supposed to be a tool to catch mistakes, but for some reason, NWP is no longer working properly for me.

Is there a way to reset the dictionary? Should I uninstall NWP and start again? At this point, I'd be willing to give up my templates, etc, if I could believe my spell check would catch mistakes again.

Thank you...
~k
CrisB

Re: Spelling Dictionary Issues

Post by CrisB »

I now have an enormous QuickFix file in both British English and American English. I wrote a macro (using obsolete Quickeys) to easily correct a typo. As a result, I now find NWP automatically corrects most of my mistakes, and spell check notices when I use English rather than American spelling.

So, for me, NWP works absolutely brilliantly in this area. Try putting in your own QuickFix for any spelling mistakes (Option Click the selected word), it's seamless and a wonderful Nisus facility that now I couldn't live without! :-)

Cris
Find strategies to improve your effectiveness at http://www.lifestrategies.net
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Cris's tip that QuickFix can readily correct spelling mistakes can be very useful. However, that doesn't get to the heart of the matter, which is that NWP should properly flag spelling mistakes if you've configured it to do so.
kirkesque wrote:The number of misspelled words it doesn't catch is atrocious. I have taken to misspelling words just to see if it catches them and it doesn't.
Is there a way to reset the dictionary? Should I uninstall NWP and start again?
NWP actually uses the shared spelling dictionaries provided by OSX, so reinstalling NWP is highly unlikely to change anything. I'm not aware of any way to reset the system dictionaries, but let's check and make sure you've configured NWP correctly.

It's very important to realize that NWP changes the spelling dictionary based on the language attribute you have applied to your text. Different bits of text in your document can have different languages applied. So the first thing to check: do you have the language(s) you expect applied to your text? There are many ways to check which language is applied.

If the language(s) you've applied to your text are correct, the next step would be to check which spelling dictionaries you have set for those languages. In your NWP preferences you can adjust which dictionaries your languages enforce.

Let us know if you discover anything is amiss, or if not, we can continue to pursue other avenues of investigation. Thanks!
Dirk_Barends

Post by Dirk_Barends »

You can remove/delete the ~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary file which contains your personal spelling dictionary as a way to sort of reset the spelling system?

Dirk Barends
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

I'm using Typinator -- the advantage is that it covers all apps.

Best regards
Geoff

Geoffrey Heard
General Manager
Bushtrack Enterprises Ltd
http://www.bushtrackpng.com