esreveR

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: esreveR

Post by martin »

Windsor wrote:Second… I gave up with this project!
In case you might still have the energy to persevere, I think you could still get this working. Looking at your screenshot, the problem seems to be that you are entering regular text (eg: a description) into the character entry area, instead of the special invisible character.

Let's sidestep that entirely. If you haven't otherwise customized your special characters menu, you could swap in the attached copy of the special characters file, which I've modified to include the 3 characters in question:

1. Quit NWP if it is running.
2. In the Finder locate your NWP application support folder in your home folder at:

~/Library/Application Support/Nisus Writer Pro/

3. Move aside (or delete) the existing "Special Characters.plist" file.
4. Copy in the plist file I've zipped and attached here.
5. Restart NWP.
Attachments
Special Characters.plist.zip
(3.22 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Windsor

Post by Windsor »

Hello Martin:

Thanks for your perseverance! Haha! You're an encouragement to me. I have made screen shots for you and created a PDF file to see the results of the test drive I took.

Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Windsor
Attachments
Test Drive.pdf
(40.88 KiB) Downloaded 510 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm glad to be such a minor inspiration! Well we're making progress: you have the special characters properly set in your menus, now we just need to clarify how to use them.

Whenever you use any of the special character menu commands (or the palette), the chosen special character will be inserted into your document. This works just like normal typing: if you have some text selected that text will be replaced, if you have no selection (an insertion point) the character will be inserted at that location. That's why if you select the word "Writer" it disappears: it has been replaced by the invisible special character.

What you want to do:
1. Place the insertion point before the word/text you want to reverse.
2. Now insert the direction override special character (eg: use the menu Insert > Special Character > Writing > RTL Override)

You should see all the text after the inserted character flip direction. To limit this reversal effect you'll want to place the insertion point after the character where you want the effect to end and insert the "Pop Direction" special character.

I hope that explains it– let us know how it goes.
Windsor

Post by Windsor »

Thanks Martin:

NOW it's working!!! :D

Looking at your directions… Oh my! How complicated for such simple desire! I remember the good old Nisus Writer (OS 9 and earlier), I just had to select the word and in the menu (I don't remember right now where exactly, probably either edit, or insert, or format) and used to be able to choose trevnI and that's it!

Any way, this will do, too.

thanks a million.

Windsor
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Glad you're up and running with this now!

If you want an easier one-step to accomplish this, you could use the attached macro: when the macro is run it inserts these special characters around the selected text to force RTL flow.
Attachments
ForceRTL.zip
(3.39 KiB) Downloaded 495 times
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

You may find the macro ReveseCharacters useful:
http://nisus.com/pro/macros/?activeCat=Text%20Direction