Storing Templates

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hoberdiek

Storing Templates

Post by hoberdiek »

I understand that templates are best stored in the .../Library/ApplicationSupport/Nisus Writer Pro folder. A few questions:

1. Does it matter what sub-folder if any?

2. When I wish to save a file as a template and then I'm asked where to save it, I'm not given the choice to go to the NWP folder in the Library. So what I've been doing is saving it to the desktop and then moving it to the Library. But that can't be correct (can it?).

3. I assume if I make a change to a template and then simply hit "SAVE" it will save it to wherever the template is stored, in particular the Library (right?)

Thanks as always for your continued help!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Storing Templates

Post by martin »

hoberdiek wrote:I understand that templates are best stored in the .../Library/ApplicationSupport/Nisus Writer Pro folder.
Not really. That's where Nisus Writer stores the default templates (eg: the Nisus New File), but that's just a convention of Mac OSX- to store ancillary internal application resources in that folder. But you can store template files wherever you find it most convenient.

If you're using the Document Manager (DM), I would recommend that you store templates in that folder. The DM folder is something you can choose in your preferences, in the "Doc Manager" pane. If you save templates there, they will automatically be available via the DM (eg: the menu File > Open From Document Manager > Templates).

But again, you should feel free to store templates in whatever location make the most sense for you.
1. Does it matter what sub-folder if any?
Any sub-folder will be fine.
2. When I wish to save a file as a template and then I'm asked where to save it, I'm not given the choice to go to the NWP folder in the Library. So what I've been doing is saving it to the desktop and then moving it to the Library. But that can't be correct (can it?).
Typically the Library and Application Support folders are considered to be somewhat private to the system/application. There's nothing wrong with storing your files there, but it's not a typical workflow. In fact, if you're using OSX 10.7 or later, you'll find that by default the Library folder is now hidden in the Finder (though you can still access it if you'd like). Looking forward into the future of OSX (and sandboxing), the Library and Application Support folders become even more private.
3. I assume if I make a change to a template and then simply hit "SAVE" it will save it to wherever the template is stored, in particular the Library (right?)
That's true if you make sure to open your template for editing, eg: in the Open panel make sure to uncheck the "Open As New File" option. The default action when opening a template is to make a copy of the template, so saving it becomes a new file.