Footnote Questions

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hoberdiek

Footnote Questions

Post by hoberdiek »

1. Occasionally a footnote will begin at the bottom of one page, but then run over to the bottom of the next. Is there a way I can make sure that this doesn't happen?

2. I like a bit more space between footnotes on a page then the default. I know I can "add/decrease line" when I'm in a set of footnotes, but it seems I have to do so for each set of footnotes, even when I've used CMD+A before I've tried it one set. Is there a one-time setting for this? Thanks!
exegete77

Re: Footnote Questions

Post by exegete77 »

For # 2, you should change that in the style sheet for footnotes, not in the document itself. Then all will be changed.
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

In the same style-sheet setting for footnotes, you can set the maximum height allocation for footnotes too. Adjusting that might alleviate your run onto the next page problem, depending ...

Mark
ryentzer

Post by ryentzer »

I don't see where I'm able to adjust the height of footnotes. Where is this located?

Thanks,
Rick
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

About a third of the way down: "Multi-page threshold".

:-)

Mark
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ryentzer wrote:I don't see where I'm able to adjust the height of footnotes. Where is this located?
Mark is correct, it's about 1/3 of the way down in the Note style properties:
thres.png
thres.png (138.75 KiB) Viewed 8951 times
You can get to that document view by using the menu View > Style Sheet and then selecting one of your note styles from the list on the left.

The limits work by enforcing a maximum height. If a footnote ever becomes larger than this maximum height, it will flow across multiple pages.
ryentzer

Post by ryentzer »

I'm not understanding how it is applied. I can change the settings for example from 65pt and 5 lines, to 30pt and 3 lines and not see any difference. I set up a test file with long footnotes to see how it works but I'm obviously doing something wrong. What does the first of the two settings for the multi-page threshold control?

In the screenshot of the test page, the settings of the multi-page threshold are 12pt, 2 lines.

Thanks, Rick
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

ryentzer wrote:I'm not understanding how it is applied. I can change the settings for example from 65pt and 5 lines, to 30pt and 3 lines and not see any difference. I set up a test file with long footnotes to see how it works but I'm obviously doing something wrong. What does the first of the two settings for the multi-page threshold control?
You probably aren't doing anything wrong, I just didn't explain very well what the note "multi-page thresholds" control. Sorry about that; let me try again.

The thresholds do not directly control how tall the footnote area at the bottom of each page will be. They also do not directly control the height of any single note. Instead these thresholds simply specify the conditions under which a note may be split so it spans multiple pages (eg: a single note's content flows from one page to another). I said "may" because a note won't be split across a page if it fits nicely on a single page. So a better definition of the thresholds would be that a single note shorter than the thresholds will never be split between pages.

Looking at your screenshot, you can see footnote #6 is at least 4 lines, which is larger than your multi-page threshold (2 lines), so it would be allowed to span multiple pages. However, since there's plenty of room on the page for footnote 6, Nisus Writer isn't going to split it.

I hope that makes sense. Please let me know if you have any questions.
ryentzer

Post by ryentzer »

That makes sense. The settings are guidelines not necessarily a definitive. Thank you.