Can't turn off Paragraph Shading Palette & other Qns.

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hoberdiek

Can't turn off Paragraph Shading Palette & other Qns.

Post by hoberdiek »

Nisus is coming along nicely, but questions/problems pop up, and this site is wonderful in answering them so promptly and accurately: thanks especially to Martin!

Despite turning off "Paragraph Shading" in the palettes menu, as soon as I start typing, it pops back on. I never use it, so it is particularly annoying.

The other two questions are these: (1) Is there a way I can automatically have Nisus open to a particular template I like? (2) When I have my favorite template, is there a way of deleting unwanted Styles (which clutter up the Styles panel) in a way that doesn't delete them from the library altogether?

Thanks in advance!
Hans
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Can't turn off Paragraph Shading Palette & other Qns.

Post by martin »

hoberdiek wrote:Nisus is coming along nicely, but questions/problems pop up, and this site is wonderful in answering them so promptly and accurately: thanks especially to Martin!
Glad you're finding this forum useful- we're happy to help you!
Despite turning off "Paragraph Shading" in the palettes menu, as soon as I start typing, it pops back on. I never use it, so it is particularly annoying.
I'm not sure what to make of this. Are you saying that you turn off background shading for the paragraph, but then if you insert text into that same paragraph, the shading comes back?
(1) Is there a way I can automatically have Nisus open to a particular template I like?
Do you mean you want to change the new document template? This is the template that Nisus Writer uses whenever a new document window is needed. You can configure and access this template (the "Nisus New File") in your "New File" preferences.
(2) When I have my favorite template, is there a way of deleting unwanted Styles (which clutter up the Styles panel) in a way that doesn't delete them from the library altogether?
Absolutely. The style library is very much separate from your Nisus New File template. So if you remove any styles from the template, the styles in the style library will be unchanged.

I should make clear that the style library (a global storage space) is not the same as the style sheet, which shows you the styles in a particular document. You must manually copy/move styles between the two, in whatever way you wish.
hoberdiek

Can't Turn off Paragraph Shading

Post by hoberdiek »

When I turn off Paragraph Shading on the Palette menu OR in the document, it very soon pops back on. When I set a template with Paragraph Shading "unchecked" it nevertheless appears when I open the template. I imagine this is a glitch with this particular item on the Palette menu, because the others stay on/off when I tell them too!
hoberdiek

Re: Can't turn off Paragraph Shading Palette

Post by hoberdiek »

I figured this one out! In Preferences under General, when "selection changes to 'Main document body', "Take this Action" had "Paragraph shading" selected. I've changed it to "do nothing".
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Can't turn off Paragraph Shading Palette & other Qns.

Post by martin »

I'm very glad that you have everything figured out- thanks for the update.