Footnote Number Size

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hoberdiek

Footnote Number Size

Post by hoberdiek »

How do I change the footnote number to superscript. The default seems to be an ordinary sized number.
Thanks!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Footnote Number Size

Post by martin »

The appearance of footnote numbers/references is controlled by character styles, both in the main document body and the footnote area. The default "Footnote" style will enforce two character styles: "Note Reference" for the main document body area, and "Note Reference in Note" for the footnote area. So by altering those styles you can affect the formatting of all note references.

However, I should mention those style names are only the default. For each note style you can actually choose/change both of these character styles. The settings are called the "Doc Reference Style" and "Note References Style":
Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 1.14.10 PM.png
Screen shot 2012-03-12 at 1.14.10 PM.png (68.84 KiB) Viewed 4421 times
hoberdiek

Post by hoberdiek »

Thanks, Martin.... I have a friend who is converting to Macintosh from PC, where he uses WordPerfect (and is happy with it). Nisus nicely reads WordPerfect -- with one glaring exception: when importing footnotes it adds another superscript. So foot note 7 becomes 77. The 'extra' number can be deleted, but it is tedious. It also *looks* like -- but I haven't investigated it thoroughly enough yet -- that if on an imported document a new footnote is inserted between footnote "7" and "8" on the original WordPerfect document, it will become footnote "1". If so, this is not great! But thanks for advice you've already given me. I'll keep working on it.

What my friend needs is a really simple template/styles. He really uses only a handful: Normal indent 11" Times Roman, Block indent 10", Footnote of 10", and block indent in footnote of 9". That's it! It is for writing chapters in books, and he doesn't mind beginning each chapter afresh with new page numbers, as he isn't making anything "print ready," or whatever it is called. An editor will put it in proper form for printing....
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

hoberdiek wrote:Nisus nicely reads WordPerfect -- with one glaring exception: when importing footnotes it adds another superscript. So foot note 7 becomes 77. The 'extra' number can be deleted, but it is tedious. It also *looks* like -- but I haven't investigated it thoroughly enough yet -- that if on an imported document a new footnote is inserted between footnote "7" and "8" on the original WordPerfect document, it will become footnote "1". If so, this is not great!
Would you be able to send me a sample WordPerfect document that shows these issues? You could email the original ".wpd" to:
If so, I'll have a look and see what might be done. Thanks!