New features! I knew the brazilian threat would do it ...

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
greenmorpher

New features! I knew the brazilian threat would do it ...

Post by greenmorpher »

... but even then, they couldn't resist playing smart arse and kept me in suspense until I read down to the fourth bullet point.

Great work, everyone, looks terrific on paper (well, paper white screen, anyway). Now to get it running. :D

Best regards

geoff

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Re: New features! I knew the brazilian threat would do it ..

Post by rmark »

Geoff,
Hmm…
in suspense
…regarding what?
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
exegete77

Post by exegete77 »

rmark wrote:Geoff,
Hmm…
in suspense
…regarding what?
The vertical ruler
The vertical ruler
The vertical...
:D
iMac 21.5” / MBP 13” Retina
Mac user since 1990
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

rmark wrote:Geoff,
Hmm…
in suspense
…regarding what?
Well, the vertical ruler was fourth on the list of new features, wasn't it? I had to read three (count them, 3!) other things before I got there. After I'd threatened mass waxing, I thought you'd at least put it at the top!!! :D

Installation was absolutely painless, I've had a little play around -- looks pretty nice so far, ah, the assurance of a vertical ruler again at last -- the graphics thing looks very neat and works very well in a few minutes of playing around.

A couple of things I hope you'll still tackle some day (preferably in an early point update):

* The Document Manager window still can't be narrowed enough. Not a big problem when I'm working on the 23" (which is most of the time), but it's just too big when I'm working on the 13". And I end up running empty space.

* There seems to be no change to the floppy page margins. It is too easy to move them accidentally. We need to be able to nail them down -- perhaps only move them with a modifier key (or even two!). Or only move them be measurement in the Margins palette. These care document foundations and foundations shouldn't move (okay, okay -- I understand you guys are happy to live with instability in Solano, and I am far from denigrating the value of the earth moving having grown up on Hemingway, but ... ).

I would also like to see just a touch of color in the palette headers in the Tooldrawer. just make them better eye targets. Gray on gray is visual crap.

Congratulations all round. Quite radical improvements (and a lot of detail ones) without doing any nasty stuff to the excellent stuff that was already there. Well worth waiting for. :love:

Best regards

Geoffrey Heard
Business & Environment Writer, Editor, Publisher
The Worsley Press
Attachments
Document manager.jpg
Document manager.jpg (92.35 KiB) Viewed 12178 times
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

greenmorpher wrote:[* There seems to be no change to the floppy page margins.
And there I go! Wrong again! A menu item! I hadn't kcked it up in my qukck scan of the changes, but had simply looked for it in Preferences and the Margins palette. Good to see it! Margins locked! :P

Cheers, geoff
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Geoff,

Thank you for the preliminary review.

Actually I voted to have the vertical ruler as the very last bullet in your honor. My question above was facetious. Yes, there is still work to be done. Thank goodness, I can't imagine spending more time on the beach.

Regarding those "floppy page margins" please choose, as I see you have found:
View > Page Guides > Lock Page Guides
You can still modify them in the Margins palette.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Oh, mark, you've done one of the things I -- well, it makes me very uncomfortable.

You've put the "Convert" in the edit menu into the right click menu. that's nce. :)

But ... you've changed the name from "Convert" (which is what that submenu is still called in the Edit menu, to "Transformations"!!! :o

Aw, m-a-a-a-t-e!!!

One term throughout, please! :)

(I don't even dare to look in the help to see what you've called it there.)

Cheers, geoff
Jester

Post by Jester »

Geoff, it's obviously a conspiracy to make you mad.

What's wrong with Nisus nowadays?

They include subliminal (well, since it affects all programs, maybe not so "subliminal" haha) propaganda within the OS, and then this???

Preposterous.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Nah, they're not like that. Probably someone's got a kid and just as they were making that change, the kid took a liking to transformer toys so it was just the term that sprang to mind. can you image "Transformers" as "Converters"? Kind of downscale, isn't it? :wink:

Cheers, geoff
dshan

Post by dshan »

Still only one window per document though. Sigh. For how many years have we waited for this pretty basic WP feature to come to Nisus Writer? Even longer now than vertical rulers!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:Nah, they're not like that. Probably someone's got a kid and just as they were making that change, the kid took a liking to transformer toys so it was just the term that sprang to mind. can you image "Transformers" as "Converters"? Kind of downscale, isn't it?
haha, yes, The Converters doesn't sound quite as epic.

The title on the contextual menu actually comes to us by way of Apple (you can see a more limited version in TextEdit). But I agree that the naming isn't consistent. Something to file, thanks.