Heavy crash when adding picture to comment

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
thf

Heavy crash when adding picture to comment

Post by thf »

Hi there,

I experienced a really deasterous crash under 10.6.3 with Nisus 1.4. The crash was not reproducible for me on my second system which runs under 10.5.
Here's the way the story goes. I cropped a picture out of a jpeg with Preview and pasted this (via shortcuts) into a comment of a nisus rtf file. Trying to close Nisus caused a crash in form of the spinning beach ball (which means to restart the computer by pressing the power button). After restarting just to choose the document in 3-pane-view via the Finder causes the system to show the beach ball (again forcing me to restart). To get rid of the file i figured out that it worked for me to drag the document in standard view (symbols) into trash. I had no problems on working and editing the file under my older second system. It seems to be a finder related problem. But i wanted to post it here because it happend with a "feature" of Nisus and cost me half a day to get me back to my file to work on it.

Update: It also happens when the picture is added in the main text. The crash is caused by that picture which is added via copy'n'paste as a clipping(!) When i crop my picture and save it as jpeg before i paste it into the text file everything is normal.

Yours, thf
xiamenese

Re: Heavy crash when adding picture to comment

Post by xiamenese »

Just a question ... did you try killing the NWP process by "Force Quit" (Cmd-opt-esc)? It's much less brutal than using the power button. In my experience, a kernel panic needing the power button is a very rare occurrence.

Just interested.

Mark
thf

Post by thf »

Yes, I tried the "soft" way. But the window didn't show up. It seems to kill most parts of the finder. It is the strangest thing, i've ever seen under os x.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

If the graphic/file is also hanging up the Finder, it's very likely a problem with OSX. Perhaps something to do with the pasteboard server or graphic interpretation/display. That said, there's no way to rule out Nisus Writer as the cause of the problem without looking into it. Could you send us the graphic and tell us how to crop and paste it to reproduce the issue? If you have the time, that would be appreciated, thanks!
thf

Post by thf »

Hi Martin,

yes it seems to be a problem of OS X not genuinely a Nisus problem. I posted it here, because I think it is a regular workflow with my text editor which caused the problem.

One preliminary: I used a nisus file which was allready saved and which i was working on. If you use an fresh file (which means a file, which was never saved before, it makes less trouble).

The photograph is very private :-), so I attached it here. I opened it in "Preview", did cmd-R two times, used the Select Tool (cmd 3), cropped out a square around the photographed note, pressed cmd-c, switched to my nisus-file and pressed cmd-v. And then - to say it in Steve Jobs words: Boom. When try to save it - Beachball. After restarting the computer and trying to click the icon of the file ... Beachball.

Yours,
Tom
Attachments
Foto.jpg.zip
(91.75 KiB) Downloaded 498 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Thanks for sharing your super secret photo Tom :P

I tried to reproduce the problem on 10.6.3 but did not have any luck. One question about what you say:
thf wrote:One preliminary: I used a nisus file which was allready saved and which i was working on. If you use an fresh file (which means a file, which was never saved before, it makes less trouble).
Do you mean that the problem does not occur at all when you use a new/empty file, or just that the problem is not as severe? In my tests I pasted the selected part of the graphic in a blank document.
thf

Post by thf »

Hi Martin,

the problem also occurs with a new, blank document. I'll try it with a fresh Nisus New File.dot. Because I thought it was due to 10.6.3 i tried dropped the photo into a TextEdit file, but that behaved normal. I'll do further tests (when the computer is not in heavy use).
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I can't reproduce the problem on my Intel iMac running 10.6.3.
Can you open my test file 'fotoTest2'?
Last edited by Hamid on 2010-04-13 12:32:15, edited 1 time in total.
thf

Post by thf »

Hi Hamid,

your file causes no problem; it works like charme. Maybe it's a problem with my Nisus New File.dot?
Attachments
Nisus New File.dot.zip
(3.43 KiB) Downloaded 446 times
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

I can't reproduce the problem with your Nisus New File.
thf

Post by thf »

Hamid, Martin,

thanks for your help. I'll try to find out, what's wrong. ItÄs only Nisus which behaves oddly. Any vague idea, what may cause the problem (i.e. some wrong plugin or something?). Maybe i should do a spring cleaning of my mac :?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It's really hard to know what causes the problem without reproducing it.

Next time you manage to hang NWP (or the Finder), force quit the application. When Apple's feedback reporter window comes up, click the button to show the report's contents. Copy-paste all of that text and send it in to us (via the menu Help > Send Feedback). That might help us diagnose what's going wrong. Thanks!
thf

Post by thf »

I figured it out. The problem vanished after deleting the preferences files.

Yours
thf
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's quite unexpected! I don't suppose you have a copy of your preferences file that you could send to us?
thf

Post by thf »

Since i do not know if my serialnumber is in the pref-file. Can i post the file directly or would you like to give me an email-address?