Paragraph "Space Before" after section break

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Bob Stern

Paragraph "Space Before" after section break

Post by Bob Stern »

If a paragraph style specifies a "space before" value, this is ignored for the first paragraph immediately following a section break, even if the section break is defined as "no page break".

This does not make sense to me. I think "space before" should be ignored only if the paragraph begins at the top of a page. Am I wrong?
Groucho

Re: Paragraph "Space Before" after section break

Post by Groucho »

Hello, Bob

I guess you mean the way Word and other wordprocessors will behave. I posted some topics in the past (http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3264) asking for a switch, a toggle or something in the prefs that allows one to decide whether space before should be considered after a section break or not.
It is my opinion that NWP's behavior only makes sense if you are planning to move the text into a dtp program, which has the text organized into frames. When I work with InDesign, not very often, I can move or resize the frames so that new sections are placed exactly where I want. Unfortunately, a dtp becomes clumsy with simple-format text, like a novel, where text flows continually and is divided into sections, with a common header and maybe a footer that move along with the section, and every section beginning on a new page. That's why I use a wordprocessor for fictional writing.

Cheers, Henry.