Table of Contents

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Kat

Table of Contents

Post by Kat »

Hello. Please forgive my ignorance. I've used search as well as NWP's help but to no avail.

I can't seem to figure out how to create a functional TOC. There's a navigator to the left and I understand that selecting text and inserting TOC will display it in the navigator.

I want to have a Navigator as I do in Scrivener (called a binder), is that possible? I just want to be able to click on the left and have access to said chapter or section. I don't want bulky text in the navigator.

How is this achieved? Solely through TOC or Indexing? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

From the User's Guide:

"▶ Click the heading’s text in the Navigator, Nisus Writer Pro displays that
portion of text in the document. "

Searching for 'Table of Contents' in the User's Guide will show more about how to use it and how it links with the Navigator.
Hamid

Re: Table of Contents

Post by Hamid »

Kat wrote:I don't want bulky text in the navigator.
As you can use Bookmarks to navigate to any place in your document, so, in addition to having TOC, you can also use Bookmarks. In this case select only that part of the TOC item in the document that you want to appear in Navigator (which displays either all bookmarks or all TOC items, but not both at the same time). Then apply the menu 'Insert:Bookmarks:Add Bookmark As' which will add the selection to Bookmarks in Navigator, or you can alter the text in the pane which presents your selection to something else of your choice which will appear in Navigator.
You can assign a keyboard shortcut to 'Add Bookmark As' which makes it easier to use. My own shortcut for this is Command-bb. (Nisus Writer Pro allows up to three letter keyboard shortcuts).
Groucho

Re: Table of Contents

Post by Groucho »

Kat wrote:Hello. Please forgive my ignorance. I've used search as well as NWP's help but to no avail.

I can't seem to figure out how to create a functional TOC.
NWP manual covers the table of contents topic starting from page 199 through 208.

Note that if each of your chapter has a heading (as is the commonest way), you can format it as a regular NWP heading (commonly named Heading 1, Heading 2, and so on), and assign a TOC (table of contents) level to it. So, you will assign level 1 to section headings, for example, level 2 to chapter headings, and level 3 to subchapter headings, and so forth, nine deep. This will cause (almost as a useful side effect) the text of each heading to appear in the navigator pane too, so you can quickly browse through chapters by simply clicking on it.

Cheers, Henry.
Kat

Post by Kat »

Thanks for your replies.

I had already read those pages, they didn't help very much. The only TOC I managed to create had text in it. My attempts at creating a TOC using headings failed.
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

I think this is a bug in v. 1.1 beta. When in Style Sheet view you cannot assign a TOC level to styles, either through the Table of Contents pane or Insert menu. In either case, the command is grayed out.
Version 1.0.3 is the last stable and fully reliable version.

Henry.
Hamid

TOC bug

Post by Hamid »

Groucho wrote:I think this is a bug in v. 1.1 beta.
You are right, but if you use the updated Nisus New File which includes TOC styles for up to six levels called 'Heading 1', 'Heading 2', etc, you can workaround that bug for up to six levels.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Huh?!? I can certainly add TOCness in the Style Sheet view!!!

No bug. Simply in Style Sheet View, just as you would have the text entry caret in the text, or the text selected, to which you wanted to apply attributes like character styling, so for applying TOCness, you must have the caret or a selection in the text in the sample text box.

THEN you go Menu Bar > Insert > New Style > Paragraph Style (or Character Style) > Include in TOC > Level 1, 2, ... *(Choose level).

The process is exactly the same as if you set up text in Page View. In Page View, though, your entry caret is in the text by default. In the Style Sheet you have to place it there because there area number of entry boxes.

An interface possibility in Style Sheet View might be to have the text in the sample box NOT selectable and/or NOT able to have an entry point, but rather to be considered to be automatically selected.

You can also set up text how you want it to be for a Paragraph Style, including with the TOC attribute, in Page View, select it, then go Menu bar > Insert > New Style > Based on Selection, and the View will switch to Style Sheet with those attributes ready for you to make a choice of Paragraph or Character Style and give it a name.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

greenmorpher wrote:No bug. Simply in Style Sheet View, just as you would have the text entry caret in the text, or the text selected, to which you wanted to apply attributes like character styling, so for applying TOCness, you must have the caret or a selection in the text in the sample text box.
Geoff is right that you can assign TOC levels to your styles in the stylesheet if the selection/caret rests inside the style's sample text. However, this is a bug new to the 1.1 beta. You should be able to assign TOC levels as you would any other attribute. We'll have this fixed by the time 1.1 is released.
greenmorpher

Post by greenmorpher »

Oops! I had never noticed that you could assign attributes to the sample text in the Style View without selecting it! I always just selected it first. And there I was wondering what everyone was muttering about. LOL.

Cheers, Geoff

Geoffrey Heard, Business Writer & Publisher

"Type & Layout: Are you communicating or just making pretty shapes" -- Revealed! The secrets of how you can use type and layout to turbocharge your messages in print. See the book at http://www.worsleypress.com
Groucho

Post by Groucho »

Sorry, when in Style Sheet view and the caret is inside the text pane I can change TOC level through Insert menu, but not through the Table of Contents palette – whether I put the caret inside or outside the sample text. The "Include Text at:" drop-down is fully functional – that is not grayed out – in version 1.0.3.
Stick to version 1.0.3, anyway.

Cheers, Henry.