Typing Hebrew

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ncheneweth

Typing Hebrew

Post by ncheneweth »

I can not seen to get this to work as I expect. Selecting a hebrew kbd, and font and R to L text only aligns the paragraph to the right. Text is still appearing as though left to right. So i would have to type the sentences in backwards like with Word.

Is there a language setting that allows me to type the letters as they would be read and they will appear on the page likewise?
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

You can use most any unicode font to type RTL or even RTL in the midst of an English LTR sentence by identifying the section of text as Hebrew.

1. Click on the flag at the bottom right of the document.
2. Select Hebrew. Type away RTL.
3. Switch to other languages as needed via the flag icon.

Using this method, Nisus will even correctly mix RTL and LTR text moving the cursor for you as needed. As someone who typed Hebrew exams BACKWARDS for years with Word, I cannot even begin to say how wonderful the RTL capabilities of NWP are!
ncheneweth

Post by ncheneweth »

Unfortunately, this method i have tried. As soon as I select HEBREW, a second cursor appears. blinking at the end of the line of the active cursor. Only the <space> char actually appears at the L eft of the sentence when typed, all other character still appear LTR.

I have tried several different font, all unicode
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

One common mistake you should check: the language menu and the keyboard layout menu are separate. Make sure that both the language flag at the bottom-right of the document window and the keyboard flag at the top-right corner of the menubar show Hebrew.

You should also be using 10.4 (Tiger) or later for proper right-to-left support.

If all that checks out I would suggest you contact our support staff directly and they should be able to walk you through the process. Just email support@nisus.com.