Turn off grammar check?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ProfT

Turn off grammar check?

Post by ProfT »

Greetings,

I've noticed since updating to Big Sur (11.6) that NWP 3.2.2 is much more aggressively marking words the OS deems to be grammatically incorrect. Although this might be helpful in long-form writing, the aggressive nature of the marking in places like lists, which frequently contain sentence fragments, etc. has made check spelling while typing useless. Yet, if I turn it off, it means I am no longer prompted should a genuine spelling error occur.

I checked the Apple resources and found that it should be possible to separate the grammar and spelling check: (https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-hel ... lp2299/mac). However, in NWP 3.2.2 there is no such separation of grammar and spelling checks in the edit menu.

So with that said, my first line of questioning is have I missed a setting? Is it possible to have NWP check spelling, but not grammar?

My second query is if this is not possible is, will you please file a request to do so? For many things I write, the grammar check is simply not helpful and obscures the usefulness of live spellchecking.

Many thanks
ProfT
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Turn off grammar check?

Post by martin »

Nisus Writer should never mark suspected grammar mistakes during spellchecking.

This was actually a problem earlier, a few years / system versions ago. If I recall correctly it was a macOS bug that crept in around Catalina. We reported the problem to Apple, but also added our own mitigations to Nisus Writer Pro version 3.1 to filter out unwanted grammar suggestions.

I haven't seen this bug lately. I also just tried to reproduce the problem using some obvious grammar mistakes (there vs their) but spellchecking behaved correctly. Would you be able to share a Nisus Writer document that exhibits the problem? I'd like to see the bug firsthand for testing.

Also, one final question: what spelling dictionary do you have set in your Nisus Writer preferences for the language(s) you use? That's the most relevant factor here. Switching your chosen spelling dictionary may fix this behavior.
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

Hi Martin,

I went back to the offending file, turned back on Check Spelling as You Type, and the errant lines were gone! I have opened the file a few times since I posted, but due to another issue, I did reboot this morning. That must have resolved the issue.

I'm glad to know that this is not an issue going forward!

Thanks
ProfT
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

That's very good to hear! I'm glad this seems to have been a simple system hiccup, and things are back to working properly for you now. Thanks for the update.