how to Move Prefs from NWP2 to NWP3?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
CrisB

how to Move Prefs from NWP2 to NWP3?

Post by CrisB »

I'm upgrading from Yosemite/NWP 2.1.10 to BigSur/NWP 3.2.1 in a different partition on my Intel Core i5 MacMini.

I've looked at the post: How do I copy my Nisus Writer preferences between Macs? but that doesn't seem to cover this question...

How do I transfer my preferences from NWP 2 to NWP3?

Cris
Thursday, 2021/07/01
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: how to Move Prefs from NWP2 to NWP3?

Post by martin »

Hi Cris! Nisus Writer Pro version 3 will automatically detect and import settings from version 2. I recommend that you use it to help you carry forward your settings to your new partition:

1. Install version 3 on your current partition (where you are currently using version 2).
2. Run version 3 and verify that it correctly imported all your version 2 settings.
3. Follow our FAQ on backing up your version 3 settings.
4. Copy those version 3 settings to your new partition, cloud storage, or some other easily accessible location.
5. Install version 3 on your new partition and point its preferences to wherever you stored the copied version 3 settings.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any questions.
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

Hi Martin,

Thanks. In Yosemite, NWP/Check for Updates says: Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.10 is currently the newest version available.

But NisusWriterPro-v321.pkg refuses to load in Yosemite. It did load the other day in Big Sur, but refused to do so in Yosemite today. So I downloaded another copy in Yosemite but it still refused to load. Still says:
  • NWP pkg can't be installed because its digital signature is invalid.
    The package may have been corrupted or tampered with. Get a new copy of the package and try again.
see screenshot NWP 3.2.1 won't load in Yosemite.png

Any suggestions? Warm regards,
Cris
Saturday, 2021/07/03
Attachments
NWP 3.2.1 won't load in Yosemite.png
NWP 3.2.1 won't load in Yosemite.png (95.46 KiB) Viewed 7219 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I guess Apple's signature for the installer can't be validated on Yosemite. I have no idea why. It's something handled by macOS.

I'd skip the installer and instead download the zip archive of Nisus Writer Pro.
CrisB

Post by CrisB »

Hi Martin,

Thanks. I've just downloaded the NWP 3.2.1 zip but it refuses to load in Yosemite saying:
You can’t use this version of the application “Nisus Writer Pro.app” with this version of OS X.
You have OS X 10.10.5. The application requires OS X 10.11 or later.
Note the won't load icon in the screenshot.

But with these restrictions, I can't see how how anyone was ever able to transfer NWP preferences to a new MacOS/NWP combo. What am I missing?

How do I transfer my preferences from NWP 2 to NWP3?

Cris
Thursday, 2021/07/01
NWP 3.2.1 from zip won't load in Yosemite.png
NWP 3.2.1 from zip won't load in Yosemite.png (92.36 KiB) Viewed 7133 times
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you are using such an old system version (OS X 10.10). You're going to have a harder time with this process. No version of Nisus Writer Pro 3 will run on your old partition still using OS X 10.10. So you'll have to come at the process from the other end, using your new partition and system version. It's going to be more complicated.

You're going to want to get Pro 2 running on your new partition. You'll have to manually transfer your Pro 2 settings so they are operational on your new partition. You'll then launch version 3 to convert the settings. Here's what you need to do:

1. On your new partition, clear out all traces that you ever used or ran Nisus Writer Pro version 3. Please follow all instructions from our FAQ on how to reset version 3.

2. Launch Nisus Writer Pro version 2 on your new partition, agree to the license and clear other startup prompts (if needed), and then quit the app. This is just to "prime" version 2 and its settings storage.

3. Follow the old instructions in our FAQ on how to sync preferences. Look for the section halfway down the page titled "Nisus Writer Pro version 2". You need to involve both your old partition and new partition. You want to export your settings from your old partition and move them into place in your new partition.

4. On your new partition, launch Nisus Writer Pro version 2 again and make sure all your settings are working correctly.

5. Download and install Nisus Writer Pro version 3 on your new partition. It should automatically detect your version 2 settings and import them.

Good luck and please be patient. This is an involved process and it's important that you do everything exactly as described.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I realized that the steps I gave in my prior post aren't exactly right. Nisus Writer Pro version 2 won't run on your new partition using Big Sur. Your systems are just too far apart (~7 years). There's no single version of Nisus Writer that will run on both to bridge the gap.

You should still be able to follow the steps I gave above, but you'll omit steps #2 and #4. You won't be able to run version 2 on Big Sur to verify that your settings were moved over correctly. But I think the process should still be successful because version 3 can detect the copied settings without version 2 ever having been actually used.