Indesign problem

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Scoticus

Indesign problem

Post by Scoticus »

Hi
Can anyone help with this? I 'm having problems getting my Nisus rtf files into InDesign. I've read the other posts on the topic, which give me hope. The problem is that InDesign stumbles on the table of contents, and if I remove that from the original file, InDesign goes in the huff and won't read the index. I'm on Big Sur 11.4 and Nisus Pro 3.2.1.

Thanks.
Vanceone

Re: Indesign problem

Post by Vanceone »

Try saving it as an "RTFD" file and importing it. If you don't need to edit the text in InDesign, you could export a PDF from Nisus and place that.

Or, try selecting everything in your Nisus Document, including the table of contents and index, and then copying it to the clipboard, then pasting it into InDesign. Sometimes copy and paste will work. Warning, complex graphics, tables, and such may not transfer over that way.
PresentationProf

Post by PresentationProf »

Thanks Vanceone. I've tried all that, to no avail.

I can 'place' a page at a time, but not all 183. InDesign says that whether it's a pdf, doc, docx, rtf, or rtfd, it's all unreadable. There must be a simple solution to this, but I cannot find it.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

Could you just export the table of contents and index as separate files, import them separately, and place the 180 odd pages left? So import 3 files?
PresentationProf

Thanks. I'll try that and see what happens.
alanterra

Post by alanterra »

Having just produced a long document in InDesign, I would advise the original poster that InDesign really wants to be in charge of your index and Table of Contents. These features are very well-designed in InDesign, and if there is any change in pagination when you import into InDesign (why would you import into InDesign unless you want to use its layout features?), the index and ToC will be stale in the new document. I'd bite the bullet and follow the workflow that InDesign wants you to use — import the body, and do the layout and document structure in InDesign.
PresentationProf

Thanks - I'll try that. Nothing else seems to work.