Feature request  : Placeholder the the endnotes section

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MathiasG

Feature request  : Placeholder the the endnotes section

Post by MathiasG »

Hello
I have Nisus Pro, and am very glad with it. It is very robust, well integrated with bookends, which is important to me, and the search and replace syntax is extremely powerful. Comments and indexing options are great too.
I had a question : before embarking on my next manuscript (around 100k words), I need to fix something : endnotes seem to always appear *after* the biblio, which can be acceptable in some papers (APA), but not for a book. There’s a workaround : turning the book into one huge section and putting the endnotes at the end of that section. But I plan to have multiple sections, which is not unusual for a long manuscript.
So my query is :
— is it possible to tell Nisus where to put the endnotes, in the same way as it is possible for the biblio, ie with a placeholder? If not, is such a feature possible when you update the app? I’m sure it will be immensely useful to many other users as well.
— I have found no clean way to put « Endnotes » as a title before the said endnotes, as in most books. The workaround is to put that at the end of the big section, but it’s not really satisfactory, for many reasons. Backmatter should be considered as a possible series of sections, but I guess it's automatically the case if the feature requested in #1 is implemented, I'll just create a section, with a title in the TOC, and insert the placeholder.
I had other requests, such as automatic integration of titles in the headers, that would be helpful, but I can live with the current version, which, as said, is great in many ways,
Thanks for the good work,
best regards
Þorvarður

Re: Feature request  : Placeholder the the endnotes section

Post by Þorvarður »

Hello MathiasG and welcome to Nisus!
endnotes seem to always appear *after* the biblio
That's what they do in Mellel. Not in Nisus. :–)

You can have as many sections as you want. Place [endnotes at the] End of Document and remove the Note Area Divider.
1.png
1.png (78.38 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
If you want the bibliography to begin on a new, empty page, then—before you scan the document to create the bibliography—insert a Page break after the last endnote. And type "Endnotes" above the notes.

Place the insertion point at the beginning of the new empty page. Hit Return twice (or more) and leave the insertion point where you want the bibliography to begin. Alternatively you can insert a Bibliography Placeholder from Tools > Bibliography > Insert Bibliography Placeholder.

When you now scan the document the bibliography is put AFTER the endnotes!

You can update both endnotes and citations; nothing gets lost and the bibliography and the endnotes remain where they should be.
2.png
2.png (133.22 KiB) Viewed 6425 times
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

I had other requests, such as automatic integration of titles in the headers, that would be helpful
Are you referring to "running headers" or Mentions as it's called in Mellel?

You can do this with cross-referencing.

Bookmark the title, a heading or whatever text you want to appear in the header. Then Insert Cross-Reference from the Insert menu into the header (or hit Command R).

3.png
3.png (55.76 KiB) Viewed 6419 times

Bookmarks and cross-references are per default colored. You can change the color or remove it completely in Nisus Preferences > Appearances > Colors > Marked Text > Bookmarked
and
Nisus Preferences > Appearances > Colors > Automatic Text > Cross-reference
4.png
4.png (109 KiB) Viewed 6419 times
Þorvarður

Post by Þorvarður »

When testing the endnotes and the bibliography, I first created a Lorem ipsum document with 5 sections, then inserted the endnotes, and finally the temporary citations from Bookends.
By my second test I inserted the endnotes and citations parallel and got a slightly different result.

If you want the endnotes to begin right after the document text, on the same page, then just insert a few Returns and write "Endnotes" before the endnotes.

1.png
1.png (152.56 KiB) Viewed 6411 times

If you want the endnotes to begin on a new page, then insert a page break after the document text and another after the endnotes.
2.png
2.png (55.29 KiB) Viewed 6411 times

And it's a good idea to use a placeholder for the bibliography. That ensures that the bibliography is really inserted where you want it to be.
MathiasG

Post by MathiasG »

Thanks a lot for your time and advice Þorvarður! Having this kind of feedback is precious
You are absolutely right about Mellel, that's the reason I've re-routed my work on Nisus (which I prefer in terms of ergonomy and, now, for a lot of reasons).
I've tried your suggestions in a document and it seems to work smoothly, thanks! I still need to make sure there's no problem with the generated TOC but there's no reason why it shouldn't work. As far as I can see, the "insert section" is grayed when I'm adding things after the endnotes, but it's not much of a problem with the MS I'm writing, as long as I can have everything in the right order. I should then edit the title for this thread :)
I'll try your tip regarding the running headers, but I'll do that on a copy of my MS next time I make some edits, thanks also for that!