Permission to open Nisus Writer Pro

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
WillyGo

Permission to open Nisus Writer Pro

Post by WillyGo »

This query probably would be more properly directed to Apple Support, but since I have a number of other Nisus users seem to have encountered the problem, I'm hoping Nisus users have found a solution. So far, I haven't had much luck with Apple support.

Recently when I opened Nisus Writer Pro on my MacPro 16" (OS 11.2.1) the following error msg popped up: "You do not have permission to open the application “'Nisus Writer Pro'.” I went to "Get Info" for the Nisus app and reset the sharing and permissions (which says I have "custom access" whatever that means) to grant "read & write" permissions to all options. I locked the settings and tried to open Nisus again. Same response. I upgraded to OS 11.2.1 and rebooted the computer. Again, same response. Any suggestions how I might I get permission to open Nisus Pro 3.2.1?
adryan

Re: Permission to open Nisus Writer Pro

Post by adryan »

G'day, WillyGo et al

After a quick search, I gather this is not an uncommon problem with a variety of applications under various versions of the operating system, even up to Big Sur. (I myself never installed El Capitan.) I am not sure there is a guaranteed fix for all instances.

In one forum, success was achieved after manipulating the Administrator account settings in some way, but unfortunately the turnaround came (as these things often do) when insufficient attention was being paid to the maneuvers used, so the solution remained a mystery.

It appears that repeated launching of the affected application can sometimes get the desired result, rather than taking the initial error message as the final word on the subject.

An extensive discussion of the issue is to be found here:–

<https://osxdaily.com/2015/11/04/verify- ... -mac-os-x/>

Read all the replies before attempting anything.

Another discussion is to be found here:–

<https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mso ... a2e418daba>

At the very least, I would try reinstalling NWP. Otherwise, Martin may know the answer.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
WillyGo

Post by WillyGo »

Adrian, Thank you very much. I'm hoping martin does have an answer. I've tried to some of the on-line suggestions to no avail. Once I get registered for the Covid vaccination (hopefully today) I shall turn my attention to this full time. Willy GoI suspect I shall have to reinstall. WillyGo
WillyGo

Post by WillyGo »

Well, wouldn't you know. I clicked on the Nisus app icon, and it opened right up along with all the docs I'd been working on before this problem happened. Then I tried to open another doc that I keep in DropBox and was denied permission. The msg instructed me to go to finder, select the doc, choose cmd-i and revise the admin settings. However, I chose to go into DropBox, click on the doc and see what happened. It opened right up. I tried another doc and it opened without protest.

While that's nice, there's a glitch there someone–probably Apple–needs to fix.

My thanks to adryan for his suggestions and to any others who may have silently commiserated with me.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

It's unusual that you would not have permission to launch an app on your Mac, whether that's Nisus Writer Pro or any other app. Before you take any drastic steps, or commit your free time to pursing Apple support, I would definitely try reinstalling Nisus Writer like so:

1. Trash all copies of the Nisus Writer app on your Mac, including any copies in residual locations like the Downloads folder.
2. Empty the trash.
3. Download a fresh copy of Nisus Writer Pro.

The default download option is an installer package (a .pkg file). That's probably the best option for you to ensure everything is moved into place correctly. The installer will prompt you for your computer's admin password and move the app to the Applications folder. Hopefully that sorts things out. Good luck!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

WillyGo wrote: 2021-02-16 10:34:53 Well, wouldn't you know. I clicked on the Nisus app icon, and it opened right up along with all the docs I'd been working on before this problem happened.
Interesting. Well that's progress at least...
Then I tried to open another doc that I keep in DropBox and was denied permission. The msg instructed me to go to finder, select the doc, choose cmd-i and revise the admin settings. However, I chose to go into DropBox, click on the doc and see what happened. It opened right up. I tried another doc and it opened without protest.
This sounds like it could be a glitch in macOS sandboxing. You might read our FAQ on how to reset Nisus Writer's sandbox. That sometimes clears up inexplicable system permission issues.
WillyGo

Post by WillyGo »

Thank you. I'll take a look at the FAQ and give it a try.

For what it's worth, I get the same message when I open gmail, but then the msg immediately closes and the app opens.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

WillyGo wrote: 2021-02-17 07:21:59 Thank you. I'll take a look at the FAQ and give it a try.

For what it's worth, I get the same message when I open gmail, but then the msg immediately closes and the app opens.
If you're having trouble with multiple apps then you probably need to do more. Even if our FAQ works to restore Nisus Writer, it won't have any effect on Gmail because each app has its own sandbox. At a minimum you'd likely have to reset each app's sandbox. That's a hassle, and really it should not be necessary.

All this points to larger system problems. You might want to try reinstalling macOS, or getting Apple support involved after all. Good luck to you Willy!