Delete page breaks

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
sjha

Delete page breaks

Post by sjha »

According to the manual I shold be able to delete page breaks from a document as follows:-
1. Click in the Find what box and choose from the Gear menu: Special Characters > Any Break.
2. Leave the Replace with box blank.
3. Click the left side of the Replace All button to remove all page breaks created using the menu
command: Insert > Page Break.
However there is no item 'Any breaks' in my Special Characters menu.
Any idea what is wrong?
xiamenese

Re: Delete page breaks

Post by xiamenese »

In the Find dialog, click the cogwheel by "Find What", then from the dropdown menu choose "Wild Card" and "Any Break" is in the third section.

Or, if it's just a "page break" that you want to remove, you can:
  1. simply make sure your cursor is in the "Find" box, then choose Insert > Page Break from the menu bar
  2. type your shortcut if you've set one
  3. select one of the page breaks in the document, copy it and paste it into the "Find" box
You might want to think whether you want to replace it with a carriage return or something else, rather than nothing.

:)

Mark
sjha

Post by sjha »

Many thanks Xiamanese for your comprehensive reply. Problem solved. Perhaps these methods should be added to the NWP manual as the information there that I was attempting to follow is incorrect.
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

Good information, but there might be some rough edges.

I have a document with a number of two-column sections interspersed with one column sections. A find for "any break" will find the first few and then I think it gets stuck inside a section and won't go on to the rest of the document. I have not been able to find all the section breaks in a single page, for example.

Fortunately, section breaks are pretty easy to spot in page view mode.
adryan

Post by adryan »

G'day, Amontillado et al

Have you tried using the Formatting Examiner?

Select one Section Break, then click on the cogwheel in the Formatting Examiner Palette and choose "Select All".

If you want to replace them with something, choose "Find All in New Window" instead of "Select All", enter your replacement text in the Replace field at the bottom of the Find Results window that opens, and click on the “Replace” button.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996
Amontillado

Post by Amontillado »

Nice tip, Adryan, that works great - thanks!