nisus/word issues (including Hebrew)

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
hannah_O

nisus/word issues (including Hebrew)

Post by hannah_O »

I work with Nisus at home and with office 365 (word) at work in Hebrew and English. I encountered 2 problems (the first is somewhat urgent)

1. I opened one rtf file with word, and worked on it with Word at work, and now I cannot open it again with Nisus (extension rtf was never changed); I can open it with Word on my mac but when I try to open it with Nisus there is no reaction (in the beginning there was the spinning wheel but now it just does not react at all); with other files ("untouched" by Word) Nisus behaves normally. I really do not want to work with Word on my mac at home. I got nisus because it is better with Hebrew etcetera....

2. When I opened the rtf files with Word at work the Hebrew was in the wrong order - when I copied it and pasted it a new Word file the Hebrew appeared in the correct order again (so here I have a solution - if somewhat clunky),

Thank you for any help
waltzmn

Re: nisus/word issues (including Hebrew)

Post by waltzmn »

I doubt I can help with this, except to confirm your issue #2 -- when one of my NWP files was opened in Word, it reversed the Hebrew. (And no one noticed, so the book was published with the Hebrew backward. Ouch.)

But I have a question that might help others: Is your document ALL Hebrew, or does it mix right-to-left and left-to-right languages? It might affect how one deals with it.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Hi Hanna –

I am not used to Hebrew – but what font do you use?
Maybe an old pre-/non-Unicode font?

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hello Hannah,

I'm sorry you're having trouble with your Hebrew file and Microsoft Word. I see that you submitted a feedback report about this issue too. However, the email address you gave us in your feedback report (the address from your academic institution) was incorrect or had a typo. We tried to send you a reply email and received the message "User unknown".

Getting to your problems with Nisus Writer and Word: I believe the issues are caused by your old version of Nisus Writer Pro. The report you sent in shows that you are still using Nisus Writer Pro version 2. If you try version 3, you should see that the RTF file saved by Word opens successfully in Nisus Writer.

Version 3 also makes improvements to the way Hebrew text is saved in Nisus Writer's RTF files. I hope that will solve the problems you're having with the ordering of Hebrew text when you open it in Word. If you still have trouble with version 3 please let us know and we can investigate further. We strive to fix any RTF issues with Word so compatibility remains excellent.

I hope that helps! Please let us know if you have any questions.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

waltzmn wrote: 2020-07-31 05:49:47 when one of my NWP files was opened in Word, it reversed the Hebrew. (And no one noticed, so the book was published with the Hebrew backward. Ouch.
That is a big Ouch! I'm very sorry for the embarrassment. Did this problem occur recently? As mentioned in my prior reply, Nisus Writer Pro version 3 has improvements in this area. If you're still seeing any Hebrew directionality problems please let us know so we can investigate.
waltzmn

Post by waltzmn »

It was many years ago. It certainly wasn't NWP 3.x; it might even have preceded 2.x. Long enough that I'm not sure. :-) And it was only a few words of Hebrew. I should have caught it myself, but the book editor was so hard to deal with that I never looked at the finished product until after it was published :-(

And I stress: It wasn't in NWP. It was in NWP as transferred to Word as transferred to I-don't-know-what.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

waltzmn wrote: 2020-07-31 07:56:24And I stress: It wasn't in NWP. It was in NWP as transferred to Word as transferred to I-don't-know-what.
Thanks for the extra details and for clearing Nisus Writer! 😇
hannah_O

Post by hannah_O »

Hello to everybody who was so kind to answer my question... sorry for the late reply. I just wanted to let you know that tried the new version and the problem did occur again (so no need to purchase it only for this problem) ... As long as I have to use word in the Office I have to use word as home - switching between two programs is too buggy when Hebrew and bidirectional writting is involved even with the new version. But thank you.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I'm sorry you're still having trouble Hannah. I have one quick question: did you resave your Nisus file using the new version of Nisus Writer? That's a necessary step, so that Nisus Writer encodes your Hebrew text using improved methods.

If you did resave your file and still have trouble opening it in Word, would you be so kind as to send me an example document for testing? I'd like to see the problem firsthand. Thanks for your help!