Quick find of any tables in a file?

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
NisusUser

Quick find of any tables in a file?

Post by NisusUser »

Hi, everybody

Is there a quick way to just open a file in NWP and run some macro to see if there is a table in it?

I've got some large files that I want to look for tables in, but I don't want to scroll through them. I need to find the tables and convert them to text and then make sure the text is formatted correctly without tables.

In some cases, believe it or not, there may even be a table in a footnote (these files were exported from another app to .rtf), since I think one table I already removed was actually in a footnote, but could that be? … I may be mistaken on that.

Thank you.
Hamid

Re: Quick find of any tables in a file?

Post by Hamid »

NisusUser wrote: 2020-03-05 04:15:56 Is there a quick way to just open a file in NWP and run some macro to see if there is a table in it? [...]
You can use the menu command Table:Select:Select Next Table
or run it as a macro.
NisusUser

Post by NisusUser »

Hamid wrote: 2020-03-05 05:59:07 You can use the menu command Table:Select:Select Next Table
or run it as a macro.
Thank you, Hamid! Just what I was looking for. I assigned a Menu Key to it and am good to go!
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Hamid's suggestion to use the Select Next Table menu command is best. Also, once you have selected any table, you can open a listing of all tables in a document using the Formatting Examiner palette:

1. Select just the entry for the table in the palette's listing.
2. Right click that entry to show the contextual menu.
3. Under "Find Formatting" choose the "Find All in New Window" command.

palette.png
palette.png (224.47 KiB) Viewed 6965 times

And finally, here's a macro that finds and lists all tables in a document. You can use it any time to see all tables, without first selecting a table.