Footnote paragraph style

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
shmuel

Footnote paragraph style

Post by shmuel »

I'm sure there's a pretty simple solution to my problem but I fail to find it myself.

Whenever I insert a new footnote, no paragraph style seems to be associated with it, so I need to click in it, go to the Palette Dock, and from the Styles choose my footnote paragraph style. Of course this works well but is a bit cumbersome.

Even if I choose "Based on: [my footnote paragraph style]" (instead of "Normal") the correct footnote paragraph style will not be used in the next footnote I insert.

How can I automatically associate the Footnote style with my footnote paragraph style?

Shmuel
Attachments
footnote.png
footnote.png (21.54 KiB) Viewed 4882 times
phspaelti

Re: Footnote paragraph style

Post by phspaelti »

I'm not really a pro-user of footnotes, but I think you might be doing things backwards. The footnote style is a not a style intended for paragraph formatting, it's a special style to control the aspects of footnotes. I just looked, and I notice that since the footnote style is based on another style ("Normal" by default), you can control the paragraph formatting of your footnotes as follows:
  1. Define your paragraph style for footnotes "My footnotes"
  2. Change the "based on" of your Footnote style to "My footnotes"
Note that the footnotes will still not show as having the paragraph style "My footnotes", but they should inherit the attributes of that style.
philip
shmuel

Post by shmuel »

Thank you, philip.

I've now done what you suggest, but my Footnote style (not the "my footnotes" paragraph style) has a Font selected which I cannot deselect (see the screen shot: "Font: Consolas").

(Of course I could simply change the selected font to the font as used in the "my footnotes" paragraph style, but I feel this shouldn't be necessary.)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There seems to be a misconception here. You can definitely achieve what you want, without the need for manually applying a paragraph style.
shmuel wrote: Whenever I insert a new footnote, no paragraph style seems to be associated with it, so I need to click in it, go to the Palette Dock, and from the Styles choose my footnote paragraph style
The "Footnote" style, as listed under "Note Styles" in the Style Sheet view, is a paragraph style. It's a specialized paragraph style, but it's still a paragraph style that can enforce any kind of formatting you like. As the "Footnote" style is applied automatically to any new footnotes you insert, you don't have to take any further steps.

So there's no need for a custom "my footnotes" paragraph style. You should instead simply configure the "Footnote" style the way you want.
shmuel wrote: 2020-03-03 09:07:38 my Footnote style (not the "my footnotes" paragraph style) has a Font selected which I cannot deselect (see the screen shot: "Font: Consolas").
Just click the formatting bubble (for the Consolas font) to select it, and then press the Delete key. That will remove the formatting override, so the font is inherited from the parent style (Normal).

Or select the Footnote style and change the font to the desired font, using any of the usual formatting tools, eg: the font menu.