Typewriter Scrolling

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
ToddO

Typewriter Scrolling

Post by ToddO »

Maybe I just didn't notice before, but when using typewriter scrolling, the line seems to shift up when I get about 75% of the way across the page. I thought it always shifted when I hit the end of the line.

Is anybody else seeing the same thing, and is that the behavior intended? (Or did I screw up a setting I'm unaware of?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Typewriter Scrolling

Post by martin »

Hi Todd: thanks for your post.

After experimenting I believe I understand what you're saying. It sounds like typewriter scrolling is autoscrolling the line you're editing to the desired vertical position, but a bit early. I observed this effect only in Page View. As you said, typewriter scrolling seems to kick in when the insertion point (aka caret) reaches about 75% of the total line width. A person might reasonably expect autoscrolling to be enacted only at the end of the line, once it wraps or a newline is inserted.

We'll have to investigate and see what's going on. It's a minor detail, but we'd like to get it right if we can.

And you certainly didn't do anything to "screw up" here. There's only one customizable setting for typewriter scrolling, which is how far down the page to keep the selection:
scroll.png
scroll.png (13.75 KiB) Viewed 7635 times
You can find that setting in your General preferences. However, it shouldn't (and doesn't) have an effect on the peculiar behavior you observed.

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention.
ToddO

Post by ToddO »

Thanks Martin. You are correct, it’s only in page view.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

This issue with typewriter scrolling should be improved in Nisus Writer Pro version 3.1.