Black on black formatting error

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
jhecht

Re: Black on black formatting error

Post by jhecht »

One possible cause is that I might have picked up something weird when I was copy-and-pasting material from PDFs and web sites. When I looked at the Fonts in the document, I saw a couple of odd fonts listed. Maybe I also picked up some odd html code?

Alternatively, maybe I accidentally hit something odd when using the touchpad on the Air laptop. I find it very clumsy to work with, and it tends to change font size in odd ways.

In any case, definitely bizarre, and it caused a momentary panic until I thought to try selecting text and saw it was there. I'll keep an eye out for anything similarly wonky and will let you know if it turns up.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

I randomly experienced what sounds like the same bug: my text editing area's background color incorrectly switched to black text on a black background. In my situation the causal event was that the file was modified externally, i.e. by an app or process other than Nisus Writer. That can trigger an automatic reload, which incorrectly used the wrong background color. This seems to only affect Draft View.

I'll file this bug to be fixed in the next Nisus Writer software update. Hopefully the cause is the same for your situation, and the forthcoming fix holds for you too.
Vanceone

Post by Vanceone »

Something I've noticed is that I have a black app setting for Safari. It provides dark mode for Safari in Mojave, where it actually rerenderes the page as if dark mode applied to the webpage instead of just the menus.

If I copy text from a webpage and then paste into Nisus, it carries the "white text/black background" of the Safari page. Copying a large, bulk set of text will splash black background all over my page in Nisus.

Sometimes the easiest thing to do is just select it all and remove all styles and formatting in the format menu.

Perhaps this kind of copy/paste problem can explain some of these random colorization issues? Not sure how to fix that, honestly. Presumably the "paste text only" or paste raw text would avoid it, but it's up to the user to use those commands if that's an issue.
jhecht

Post by jhecht »

Martin wrote: "In my situation the causal event was that the file was modified externally, i.e. by an app or process other than Nisus Writer."

That sounds like what I saw, but in my case I had the document in iCloud and was working on the document both on my laptop MacbookAir and my desktop MacMini (both running Mojave). I do that when my Attic office gets too hot and I want to work where it's cooler.

Glad you were able to spot it and fix the problem.