The History of Nisus Software: A Timeline
- Nisus Software, Inc. is founded by Jerzy Lewak as Paragon Courseware.
- TechFonts, a typeface with equation and schematic symbols, is released.
- QUED (Quality Editor) is released.
- Laser TechFonts, a postscript version of TechFonts, is released.
- MacQwerty, a tool that allowed usage of the Dvorak keyboard layout, is released.
- MacTAG (Teacher's Assistant Grader) is released.
- QUED/M (Quality Editor with Macros) is released.
- The company changes its name from Paragon Courseware to Paragon Concepts.
- Nisus 1.0, a word processor with a very powerful Find and Replace function, Unlimited Undoes, 10 separate editable Clipboards, a Thesaurus, macros from QUED/M, and graphics capabilities, is released.
- Nisus 2.0 adds footnotes and other enhancements.
- Nisus 3.0 is released, with non-contiguous selection, named rulers, and upgraded macro capabilities.
- Nisus Compact, a small, very fast word processor aimed at the newly introduced Apple PowerBook, is released.
- Paragon Concepts becomes Nisus Software, Inc.
- Nisus 3.4, is unleashed. This new version added support for Apple's new WorldScript technology, drag and drop, and support for XTND.
- NIsus Writer 4.0 is announced, with a redesigned interface, support for sound, QuickTime, Publish & Subscribe, text-to-speech, autonumbering, color graphics and table and equation tools.
- Nisus Writer 4.1.6 adds native PowerPC support, XTND translators for Word 6 and WordPerfect, plus HTML tools.
- MailKeeper is released. This innovative application, using a proprietary, patented new technology called Guided Information Access (GIA), allowed users to store, retrieve, and organize information.
- Nisus Writer 5.0 is released, adding OpenDoc support and drag & drop for non-contiguous selections.
- Nisus Writer 5.1 adds over 90 changes, including a Repeat Last menu command item in the Edit menu, dynamic scrolling, and enhancements galore to the Find and Replace function.
- Nisus Writer 4.1.6 Free is released as a free download. (This product is no longer available for download.)
- Nisus Compact Free is released. (This product is no longer available for download.)
- Nisus Email, a POP3 email client, is released
- Nisus Writer 6.0 is released, adding a Grammar checker, support for Mac OS 9 Language Kits, ViaVoice and MacSpeech support, zoom, support for Navigation Services, Nisus Text Analyzer, Auto-expanding glossary and other enhancements.
- Nisus Email 1.5 adds a fast find function and minor enhancements.
- Nisus Email 1.6 is released adding support for OS X.
- Nisus Writer 6.5 adds an outliner, a Document Manager, and numerous enhancements and fixes.
- Nisus Software, Inc. acquires Okito Software, makers of Okito Composer, an excellent OS X word processor.
- Nisus Writer Express 1.0 is released. An all new from the ground up word processor for OS X, Express is written using the Cocoa frameworks to take full advantage of advanced OS X technologies. Features include read/write documents in Unicode, RTF, RTFD, plain text format and Microsoft(R) Word (.doc); a customizable interface; AppleScript and Perl macros; noncontiguous selection; keyboard shortcuts; an exclusive Document Manager; powerful, three-level Find and Replace including Regular Expressions (GREP); multiple editable Clipboards; and document window zoom.
- Nisus Thesaurus 1.0 is released as a free application for OS X. Based on the WordNet lexical database, Thesaurus includes a 120,000 word database and support for OS X Services, so that any Service aware application can use it.
- Nisus Writer Express 1.0.3 adds support for Panther (OS X 10.3).
- Nisus Writer Express 1.1 includes features such as a language palette, show invisibles, integration with Nisus Thesaurus, ligature and kerning support, graphics resizing, and many enhancements.
- A major update to Nisus Writer Express, version 2.0 adds over 30 new features, including a built-in table tool, styles, footnotes, smart quotes and more.
- Nisus Software, Inc, The Omni Group, and Blacksmith announced LinkBack, a new technology that brings embedded objects to the Mac OS X platform. LinkBack makes it possible to edit text or graphics pasted from another application by double-clicking on it. The technology will be included in future releases of Nisus Writer Express, OmniOutliner, OmniGraffle, and Chartsmith.
- Nisus Writer Express 2.5 adds significant features such as right to left input, bullets and numbering, support for LinkBack, and many bug fixes and enhancements.
- Nisus Writer Express 2.6 adds an optional WYSIWYG font menu, smart to straight quote conversion and vice versa, restores document selection when reopened, a preference to reopen the last set of documents when Express is launched, and French and German localizations.
- Nisus Writer Express 2.6.1 is released as a Universal Binary for the newly updated Macintosh computers with Intel chips.
- Nisus Writer Express 2.7 adds Multikey Keyboard Shortcuts, Full Screen View, Leader Tabs, and an Attribute Dropper Toolbar item.
- Nisus Writer Pro, an advanced word processor with features over and above those in Nisus Writer Express, is released.
- Nisus Writer Express 3 is released. This new version, which is built from the same core as Nisus Writer Pro, gains new features and many enhancements.
- Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.2 and Nisus Writer Express 3.0.1 are released. These releases offer Mac OS X 10.5 compatibility, along with many bug fixes.
- Nisus Writer Pro 1.0.3 and Nisus Writer Express 3.0.2 are released.
- Nisus Writer Pro 1.1 adds comments, mail merge, go to page, a large cursor option, and plenty of fixes.
- Nisus Writer Express 3.1 released on August 1st.
- February 6 brings the release of Nisus Writer Express 3.2
- Nisus Writer Pro 1.3 released on 1 July.
- Nisus Writer Express 3.3.1, Nisus Writer Pro 1.3.1, and Nisus Thesaurus 1.0.7 all updated for Snow Leopard on 4 October.
- Nisus Writer Pro 1.4 is released on 16 October.
- Macworld reviews Nisus Writer Pro and gives it 4 1/2 mice out of five.
- April brings the release of Nisus Writer Express 3.3.2 and Nisus Writer Pro 1.4.1.
- Nisus Writer Pro 2 is released on 19 May. New features include track changes, drawing tools, and watermarks.
- Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro (both Pro 1 and Pro 2) receive updates for Lion (OS X 10.7) compatibility in July.
- November sees updates for both Nisus Writer Express and Nisus Writer Pro.
- July 28th sees the release of Mountain Lion compatible versions of Nisus Writer Pro (2.0.3), Nisus Writer Express (3.4.2), and Nisus Thesaurus 1.1.1.
- Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.4 and Nisus Writer Express 3.4.3 are released on August 10.
- InfoClick 1.0 is released on January 8. InfoClick is a uniquely powerful email search tool for Apple's Mail app designed to guide you to the emails you've been trying to find.
- InfoClick 1.1 is released on July 18.
- Nisus Writer Pro (2.0.5) and Nisus Writer Express (3.4.4) are released on September 11.
- October 3rd sees the release of Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.6 and Nisus Writer Express 3.4.5.
- Nisus Writer Express 3.4.6 and Nisus Writer Pro 2.0.7 are released on December 6.
- March 17 saw the release of Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.
- Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.1 is released on April 16.
- Nisus Writer Express 3.5 is released on September 18.
- Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.2 shows up on October 8.
- InfoClick 1.2 is released on October 30.
- Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.4 and Nisus Writer Express 3.5.4 are released on January 14.
- August 31 saw the release of Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.5 and Nisus Writer Express 3.5.5.
- September 7 brought InfoClick 1.2.2 into the world.
- Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.6 and Nisus Writer Express 3.5.6 are released on November 8.
- March 2 was a busy day, as Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.7, Nisus Writer Express 3.5.7, and InfoClick 1.2.3 are released.
- December 19 saw the release of Nisus Writer Pro 2.1.8 and Nisus Writer Express 3.5.8.
©2018 Nisus Software, Inc. All rights reserved.