Nisus Writer Express 4.2 Release Notes
This is a significant update that adds:
- Dark Mode
- Support for macOS Big Sur
- Support for Apple Silicon
- Adds several features and enhancements
- Fixes many bugs
Nisus Writer Express 4.2 is the latest version available.
This is a free update for existing users of Nisus Writer Express version 4.
If you are a user of Nisus Writer Express version 3 (or lower) this is a paid upgrade.
There are many new features in version 4.0
and it requires a new license key purchase.
- Dark Mode
- Support for Apple Silicon
- Inserting a PDF prompts the user how it should be inserted: as text, an image, or sequence of images.
- New menu Extract Text From Image uses optical scans (OCR) to extract text. Requires macOS Catalina.
- New menus Show Font Previews and Choose Replacement Font show the selected text using available fonts.
- Added ability to save, load, and reset customizable colors in the Appearance preferences.
- HTML export has a font size scaling factor option in the save dialog.
- Added dedicated image manipulation commands under the menu Insert > Image.
- New menu Show Linked File in Finder to show a linked image's source file.
- The Document Manager file versions listing allows users to permanently delete old versions.
- Expanded how many palettes show mixed state selections.
- Added Touch Bar items for changing applied text styles.
Compatible with macOS Big Sur:
- DOC and DOCX files fail to import on Big Sur.
- Several user interface (UI) issues and irregularities on Big Sur.
- Hyphenation issues for certain document hyphenation modes.
- Adopted some of the new design aesthetics of Big Sur.
- The table inserter toolbar button did not work correctly on Big Sur.
- The full screen toolbar could have the wrong height on Big Sur.
- Nisus Writer Express can exhibit strange behavior and errors when editing documents with comments.
- Fixed: editing that changes how a table is split between pages in Page View can incorrectly leave residual "phantom" portions of a table on a page.
- Fixed: word count should not flicker so much during typing.
- Fixed: online help search fails to take user to proper web page.
- Fixed: marked text incorrectly discarded when editing text in headers/footers.
- Fixed: automatic numbers in floating text boxes anchored to headers/footers can show incorrectly.
- Fixed: table cell width/height palette steppers can become stuck at certain values.
- Fixed: problems with zoom restoration when exiting full screen mode.
- Changed: reduced (but not eliminated) how frequently unwanted seams/lines appear when redrawing on screen.
- Changed: applying a style that enforces a font should not always strip font size formatting.
- Fixed: editing section properties in the palettes did not always update the palettes correctly right away.
- Fixed: word count can trigger very bad performance for Asian text lacking in whitespace.
- Fixed: mixed state display issues for certain palettes / controls.
- Fixed: text selections that incorrectly contain invalid character indexes should not trigger exceptions.
- Fixed: styles should be able to enforce zero kerning if they inherit non-zero kerning from their parent style.
- Fixed: possible exceptions related to menu name localization on non-English systems.
- Fixed: should be able to repeat image resizing commands.
- Fixed: inserting a JPEG image with a .jpeg file name extension should preserve that extension, instead of also appending the .jpg extension.
- Fixed: inserting image files with non-standard file name extension capitalization should preserve the existing letter case.
- Fixed: undo/redo of image sizing changes could trigger internal warnings or errors.
- Fixed: an expanded Character palette does not show the font list immediately; it incorrectly shows the popup button.
- Fixed: adding or removing Section columns via the palette fails to update the palette.
- Changed: processing a large selection with many list bullets could fail to respect time limiting.
- Fixed: better attempt to fix and preserve numbering for paragraphs using invalid list levels.
- Fixed: users should be warned when loading RTF files with damaged list item paragraphs or list styles.
- Fixed: if a find match occurs in text under the horizontal ruler, it was not always properly scrolled into view.
- Fixed: exactly deleting one or more whole paragraphs should not expand the deletion to remove whitespace at the start of the following paragraph.
- Fixed: black rulers in inactive split views on earlier versions of macOS.
- Added: the user should be able to see a full list of file reading errors and warnings when reopening documents during app launch.
- Fixed: rare hang or crash due to scrollbars drawing on background thread.
- Changed: speculative change to attempt to fix possible crash in background text stats calculation.
- Fixed: the menu File > Versions does not show on OS X 10.11.
- Fixed: the warning message that a spelling dictionary cannot be contacted was not correctly localized.
- Opt: prevent macOS from populating the menu File > Versions when it probes keyboard shortcuts.