Moving Mellel Styles to NWP

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
MacSailor

Moving Mellel Styles to NWP

Post by MacSailor »

My primarily word processor has been Mellel for the last decade or so. During this time I have been trying the trial versions of NWP every now and then, and finally, after nearly nine years since I bought NWE, I have decided to upgrade my old license to NWP.

I'll probably still be using Mellel as my primary tool while writing academic works, but will be using NWP for more or less everything else (and Pages through iCloud at work).

About two and a half years ago, I read something at a forum how to move the styles from Mellel to NWP (it can be read at https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/red ... pics/11724 ) but unfortunately I did not save the screenshots that explained the steps how to move the styles. My question is now, do anyone here at the Nisus Forum have these graphics/screenshots/pictures available somewhere? If that's the case, I would appreciate to have it sent to me (I'll give you my e-mail address if you send a pm to my here at the forum).

Below is the text from the forum mentioned above:
1. Select and copy the text with the character style in Mellel (see screenshot 1 and 2)
2. Paste it into a NWP document
3. Create a new Character Style in NWP by going to Format > Character Style > New Character Style
4. The Style Sheet View will be automatically displayed in NWP. It looks like this (see screenshot 3):
As you can see on the screenshot 3 the words "Character Style" are already selected. Give the new style a meaningful name, for example 'Mellel Style', by overwriting the words "Character Style".
5. Now switch back to your original view (I mostly use the Draft View)
6. Select the text that you just pasted in step 2 (= the text from Mellel containing the style attributes) and assign it the new NWP style by going to Format > Character Style > Mellel Style
7. Make sure that the text that you pasted in step 2 is still selected. Go to Format > Character Style > Redefine Style from Selection (see screenshot no. 4) and you're done!
To see the changes that were made go to the Style Sheet View by clicking on the Style Sheet button (see screenshot no. 5 and 6)
Thanks.
Peter Edwardsson
Hamid

Re: Moving Mellel Styles to NWP

Post by Hamid »

I have tried to recreate the scenario; I hope it helps.
1. Select and copy a word (or some text) with the character style in Mellel; this one in the example is named Scheherazade14.
1 CharStyleM.png
1 CharStyleM.png (20.29 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
2. Paste the word in NWP. (The pasted word will retain all the character attributes of copied text.)
3. In NWP select the pasted word and switch to Style Sheet.
4. At the bottom left of the Style Sheet click the plus sign to reveal a drop down style menu and check ‘Character Style’.
2addCharStyle.png
2addCharStyle.png (23.45 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
5. A new blank character style will be added to the Style Sheet with the default name ‘Character Style’ selected:
3blankCharStyle.png
3blankCharStyle.png (24.83 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
5. Overwrite the words ‘Character Style’ with what you want to name the character style. We shall retain its original name Scheherazade14. At this point Scheherazade14 will still be a blank style in the style sheet.
[Continued in the next post]
Hamid

Post by Hamid »

6. Switch back to Draft View or Page View where the word pasted is selected and from the bottom right of the document window apply the character style Scheherazade14:
4 CharStyle.png
4 CharStyle.png (25.35 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
7. Then from the same drop-down menu check ‘Redefine From Selection’. At this point all the defined character attributes of Scheherazade14 will be added to the Style Sheet for the defined character style Scheherazade14.
8. Check the Style Sheet to verify that the character style has all the attributes of the defined character style of the original.
phspaelti

Post by phspaelti »

This procedure can be simplified by using the command "New (Character) Style based on Selection" basically:
  1. Select and copy the text with the character style in Mellel (see screenshot 1 and 2)
  2. Paste it into a NWP document
  3. Create a new Character Style in NWP by going to Format > Character Style > New Character Style based on Selection
  4. Name the Style (in the Style sheet)
philip
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Thank you both for the methods you guys provided. I'll give them both a try.
Peter Edwardsson