Two wishes for 1.3: Two up; page colouring Page View

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Timotheus

Two wishes for 1.3: Two up; page colouring Page View

Post by Timotheus »

I have two modest wishes for 1.3: I would like it to be possible to see in Page View two pages next to each other ('Two up'), and I would like a colour option in Page View for the page itself. In Nisus there are colour options for just about anything, but not for the page itself in Page View; and I wonder why.

Are there others who share one of these wishes, or perhaps both of them?
xiamenese

Re: Two wishes for 1.3: Two up; page colouring Page View

Post by xiamenese »

Timotheus wrote:I have two modest wishes for 1.3: I would like it to be possible to see in Page View two pages next to each other ('Two up'), and I would like a colour option in Page View for the page itself. In Nisus there are colour options for just about anything, but not for the page itself in Page View; and I wonder why.

Are there others who share one of these wishes, or perhaps both of them?
I'd back the implementation of two-up, but colouring page view is not something that would interest me at all.

Mark
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Thanks for your answer, Xiamenese.

As far as page colouring is concerned: I'm working daily with Mellel, Scrivener end also with Papyrus, and they all have a page colouring option. After years of writing texts on a soft green background (very gratifying for the eyes!) I can't do without it anymore. And as I said: in Nisus almost anything can be given any desired colour, except the most important thing of all: the page itself. To be honest, this doesn't seem very logical.

Anyway, I hope Nisus' developers will be willing to take this additional option into consideration.
ptram

Post by ptram »

The score-writing app Sibelius goes further: paper texture can be chosen. And writing music on a slightly pearl-tinted silk paper is a real pleasure!

Paolo
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Timotheus wrote:As far as page colouring is concerned: I'm working daily with Mellel, Scrivener end also with Papyrus, and they all have a page colouring option. After years of writing texts on a soft green background (very gratifying for the eyes!) I can't do without it anymore. And as I said: in Nisus almost anything can be given any desired colour, except the most important thing of all: the page itself. To be honest, this doesn't seem very logical.

Anyway, I hope Nisus' developers will be willing to take this additional option into consideration.
I work with Scrivener daily too, but I've never felt the inclination to change the paper or font colour ... I am happiest with black text on white. In fact, I was super delighted when I bought my first computer, a first edition Atari 520 with a "whopping" 512K of RAM and an external 3 1/2 inch floppy, and I got the 10" (I think) paper-white monitor. That was so sharp and clear and I was so glad to be shot of the green on black or orange on black of the screens I'd had to suffer up to then.

The only circumstances in which I use a background of another colour is for Keynote presentations, and then it is a very muted grey or muted buff colour.

But I wouldn't argue that Nisus should hold back from giving this option to other users ... just that for me, it's nowhere on the priority list. Two-up viewing, yes; vertical rulers (Geoff :-) ), yes; more flexibility in floating images on page, yes; floating text-boxes, definitely.

Mark
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Well, yes, of course I perfectly understand that page background colouring has no priority at all for others - we're all different, fortunately.

And I also understand that some developers don't attach much importance to background colouring in their applications.

But, as I said before, I find it difficult to understand why in an application like Nisus almost any kind of background can be coloured, except the background of the page itself.
Elbrecht

Post by Elbrecht »

Again -

I asked for being able to place a Background PDF - not just Colored Paper. With the option : "Don't Print Background" one could place text blocks or whatever into already extisting prints in Page View and re-print these additions - or "Print with Background PDF" in my case.

HE
MacBook Pro i5
SSD 840/850 Pro
High Sierra 10.13.6
Nisus Writer Pro 3.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Timotheus wrote:I find it difficult to understand why in an application like Nisus almost any kind of background can be coloured, except the background of the page itself.
It's a combination of being not a critical feature and more difficult to add than other color customizations. That said, obviously there are users who want such a thing, so it's on our radar.
Timotheus

Post by Timotheus »

Thanks, Martin!