Feature request: copy-paste (drag & drop) of short formatted text

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
phspaelti

Feature request: copy-paste (drag & drop) of short formatted text

Post by phspaelti »

I wonder if this might be possible.
When copying and pasting attributed text, NWP does a good job of copying the formatting.
If the text copied includes a whole paragraph it also copies the paragraph formatting, which is fine.
But one place that I always have trouble is when the piece is just a short bit of text that I want to paste at the beginning of an existing paragraph. NWP replaces the paragraph formatting along with the pasted text. It seems one has the following options:
  • Paste and then correct the formatting of the paragraph
  • Paste without the formatting, then correct the format of the pasted text
  • Insert a character (e.g., a space), paste, then back up and eliminate the character
I'm just wondering if the behavior could be changed, to pasting character attributes only in such cases. (Essentially the same as pasting in the middle of a paragraph.)

I guess the first question is whether one can identify the correct conditions for the case. Perhaps something like: pasting text which does not contain a return into a paragraph that already contains text?

What do people think?
philip
adryan

Re: Feature request: copy-paste (drag & drop) of short formatted text

Post by adryan »

G'day, Philip et al

Sounds like a good idea.

One way of doing it would be to do an ordinary Copy, position the insertion point at the desired Paste location, and then (instead of using one of the usual Paste variants) invoke a Macro such as this:–

Code: Select all

Copy Paragraph Formatting
Paste
Paste Paragraph Formatting
A Keyboard Shortcut could be assigned to the Macro if you think you'll be using it frequently.

Unfortunately, in the course of my experimentation I discovered a bug in the Undo mechanism. Performing an Undo operation immediately after either a simple Paste or the above procedure leaves the destination paragraph with the "imported" paragraph formatting rather than its original formatting.

If you used the above Macro, you can easily restore the original paragraph formatting by using the Paste Paragraph Formatting command, but you shouldn't have to do this.

Cheers,
Adrian
MacBook Pro (M1 Pro, 2021)
macOS Ventura
Nisus Writer user since 1996