Sonoma compatibility

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
Purpendicular

Sonoma compatibility

Post by Purpendicular »

I thought I'd try the Sonoma beta. Is Nisus Writer Pro compatible?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Sonoma compatibility

Post by martin »

At this moment there seems to be some issues with Nisus Writer and macOS Sonoma. I've seen sporadic reports of Nisus Writer crashing on the Sonoma beta, but I don't know the exact cause or triggering conditions. As Sonoma is still unfinished I can't say whether these issues will be resolved by Apple during their beta period. I recommend caution in trying the Sonoma beta.

Of course we'll definitely monitor the situation and make sure Nisus Writer remains compatible with macOS Sonoma once it's finalized.
joekissell

Post by joekissell »

I know the exact cause and the triggering condition :-). @Martin, I sent you email about it (and some other Sonoma stuff). Did you receive it?
jeffkisme

Post by jeffkisme »

I have crashed at least eight or nine times since upgrading this morning. Any advice would be welcome
Axbax

Post by Axbax »

After upgrading to Sonoma, when saving Nisus keeps telling me that the file is locked and that it cannot save. The file is not locked and NWP had full disc access. What to do?

Cheers,
Ken
xiamenese

Post by xiamenese »

Axbax wrote: 2023-10-03 05:42:26 After upgrading to Sonoma, when saving Nisus keeps telling me that the file is locked and that it cannot save. The file is not locked and NWP had full disc access. What to do?

Cheers,
Ken
What platform… Intel? Arm?

I've just tried editing a 90 page document, redoing styles, scanning the bibliography etc. and it saved without problem. This is on an M1 MBA running Sonoma.

:)

Mark
Axbax

Post by Axbax »

I'm on the M2 MBP. Not a save without it telling me that the document "could not be saved. The file is locked. Do you want to save your changes to it anyway?" Seems to save, though. But it is incredible annoying with the prompts.

Ken
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

There are definitely compatibility issues with Nisus Writer and macOS Sonoma. The most prominent is related to system-wide auto-completion, which triggers crashes in Nisus Writer.

We have a pre-release beta version of Nisus Writer Pro that attempts to fix the most serious of these problems. We’re very sorry for the trouble! We hope the beta helps while we smooth out other remaining issues
Axbax

Post by Axbax »

Thanks, Martin! I look forward to seeing the issues solved.

Ken
Axbax

Post by Axbax »

Update: the issue was caused by Google Drive. Saving the files to a location that is not synced with Google Drive resolved it.

Cheers,
Ken
Raplouf

Post by Raplouf »

Hello,
A problem reminiscent of this one, but with macos 13.6 M2 chip. Rang a bell when I saw the problem was linked with google drive sync.
when I work with the local SSD disk, everything is fine.
when I work over the network on a smb:// server, I'm not allowed to save. Depending on my choice on the prompts, either the file gets saved with an extra-long name, or even saved correctly.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Axbax wrote: 2023-10-05 00:10:15 Update: the issue was caused by Google Drive. Saving the files to a location that is not synced with Google Drive resolved it.
Raplouf wrote: 2023-10-09 04:58:39 A problem reminiscent of this one, but with macos 13.6 M2 chip. Rang a bell when I saw the problem was linked with google drive sync.
when I work with the local SSD disk, everything is fine.
when I work over the network on a smb:// server, I'm not allowed to save. Depending on my choice on the prompts, either the file gets saved with an extra-long name, or even saved correctly.
This is unexpected. Generally speaking folders that are backed by cloud/sync services should behave normally and be indistinguishable from local storage. It's intended to be entirely transparent to apps like Nisus Writer. It's the same for network/smb drives: macOS should handle it all smoothly. But of course that's just the conceptual goal. I'm not too surprised to hear that there are various issues.

Unfortunately there's likely very little we can do about it at the Nisus level. The system and other relevant 3rd parties (like Google) are ultimately in control of these specialized file systems / storage integrations. For practical advice I'm not sure what to recommend, aside from general troubleshooting like running Disk Utility, reinstalling the system, etc.
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I recently upgraded to Sonoma and Nisus is working all right apart from a couple of glitches:

1. The "Print..." function doesn't work. Nothing happens when selecting it. Have to quit Nisus and restart then printing works once.

2. After printing a document, the Page Zoom defaults to 100% from 200%.

Minor problems which I can work around.
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

GeoffRoynon wrote: 2023-10-10 03:36:21 I recently upgraded to Sonoma and Nisus is working all right apart from a couple of glitches:

1. The "Print..." function doesn't work. Nothing happens when selecting it. Have to quit Nisus and restart then printing works once.

2. After printing a document, the Page Zoom defaults to 100% from 200%.

Minor problems which I can work around.
These print panel issues should already be fixed in the Nisus Writer Pro beta version. If you don't want to download the beta you might consider this workaround: use the menu File > Export As PDF, open the exported PDF file, and then print that instead. Sorry for the nuisance.
allenwatson

Post by allenwatson »

On my Intel Macbook Air, I encountered the reported problems with NWP and auto-completion while running Sonoma 14.1; NWP was crashing. I tried the first beta, and for a while, I seemed OK. Then Nisus began hanging, and I was unable to relaunch. Upgraded to 14.2, still having problems. Upgraded NWP to beta3, but the hangs persist. At first, several times, it hung while displaying a dialog about replacing various files (I couldn’t even click either button), but now it hangs before displaying anything at all.

I’m desperate! I produce new material for a weekly class, and my latest notes cannot be accessed by Nisus. I’ll experiment with trying other apps that can read RTF (Word, GAAH!), but I depend on Nisus Macros for a lot, and without them, my work goes much more slowly.