Opening files with the extension:'docx'

Everything related to our flagship word processor.
paieye

Opening files with the extension:'docx'

Post by paieye »

I am working on such a file now. I can open it with TextEdit, but not with NWP. I have seen the suggestion of using LibreOffice to open the file, then closing it, and reopening it with NWP, but I long ago uninstalled LO to make space on this tiny, crowded drive,and hope not to have to reinstall it. Is there an alternative ?

martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Opening files with the extension:'docx'

Post by martin »

You can indeed open DOCX files using Nisus Writer. If you're having trouble doing that via the Finder, please use the menu File > Open from within Nisus Writer to select the file with the .docx extension. Nisus Writer will import the document.

credneb

Post by credneb »

Nisus does a very good job of importing docx files in _most_ cases, but there are some in which it fails/has failed entirely, even after going through LO and export-to-rtf attempts. One is when the original Word document has sections with a mask applied.

A couple of years ago I needed to translate such a Word document. Everything was going fine, and then I realized things were missing. Eventually I needed to open the file with a new version of Word, which revealed the masks.

Perhaps LO has since resolved t his problem, and perhaps the Nisus importer has, too. I have not tried.

paieye

Post by paieye »

My thanks to you both Credneb, I always use the approach that you advise, but in this instance without success. However, I yesterday asked my correspondent to send me a copy of the file reformatted in RTF, and NWP opened the result instantly.