next step

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
gemboy27

next step

Post by gemboy27 »

This are going great from my end... typing typing,

Just wondering what is next for Nisus Writer Express

• Is 3.0 next?

• Is that something that is on the table right now

• Will there be world peace any time soon?

Gem*Boy
ps, if you are working on world peace, I can understand how you might not have 3.0 out for a while
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

• Will there be world peace any time soon?

Gem*Boy
ps, if you are working on world peace, I can understand how you might not have 3.0 out for a while
Rumor has it that a WorldPeace0.1beta is only a few centuries away. There is hope, definitely :wink:

ninjagame
writer99

sleeping

Post by writer99 »

worldpeace-maker is sleeping since more than 3000 years.
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

ninjagame wrote:

Rumor has it that a WorldPeace0.1beta is only a few centuries away. There is hope, definitely :wink:

ninjagame
Okay, I am volunteering now to be a beta tester ;-)
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Okay, I am volunteering now to be a beta tester
There might arise the question of lifespan, though... :wink:

ninjagame
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

ninjagame wrote:
Okay, I am volunteering now to be a beta tester
There might arise the question of lifespan, though... :wink:

ninjagame
Sounds like a bug.
gemboy27

I know it is cold outside

Post by gemboy27 »

ninjagame wrote:There might arise the question of lifespan, though... :wink:

ninjagame
O I would be glad to put in my time. I called Walt Disney's home... they have a cryo tank available.

Tell me when to set the World Peace alarm.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cryogenic
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Well, the problem is that WorldPeace0.1beta is deeply troubled by a series of bugs in NSNatureOfMan, NSPoverty, NSIndustrialWorldIndifferenceToThirdWorld (which is itself troubled by such bugs as NSUSForeignPolicy and NSHistoryOfEuropeanMeddlingWithOtherCountries), and NSExtremism. As a result, operations that made calls to NSTerrorism or NSAbuGrahib or NSExtraordinaryRendition or NSGuantanamoBay tended to run amok and wreak havoc on a number of levels.

I understand that there's a patch—codenamed 2006USElectionsbeta—but most likely this will be superficial in nature and won't really address the issues causing the problems. Forgive me if I'm pessimistic, but I've gotten my hopes up too often. NSBillClinton, a process included in NS1992and1996USElections, turned out to have a bug associated with NSMonicaLewinsky. NSGeorgeBush, a process included in NS1988USElections, had a bug associated with both NSReadMyLips and NSDemocratCongress. NSRonaldReagan turned out to have bugs associated with NSIranContra, and NSJimmyCarter had bugs associated with NS1979IranianRevolution.

And on and on. Don't EVEN get me started about how NSRichardNixon just up and stopped working.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Don't get me wrong, I'm just asking vocabulary - but WTH is "NS"? Background: Being German and living with German history and all that, reading "NS"-something leaves me with a creepy feeling. (OK, I confess, I'm a little out of my depth with English alphabet soup...)
But, even at the cost of supporting your pessimism, we in Germany have a saying: If elections could really change something, they would be forbidden by now.
Oh, and as for the bug with WorldPeace0.1beta - it will definitely be fixed with WorldPeace0.9.9beta99 or so. :wink:

ninjagame
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

ninjagame wrote:Don't get me wrong, I'm just asking vocabulary - but WTH is "NS"? Background: Being German and living with German history and all that, reading "NS"-something leaves me with a creepy feeling. (OK, I confess, I'm a little out of my depth with English alphabet soup...)
But, even at the cost of supporting your pessimism, we in Germany have a saying: If elections could really change something, they would be forbidden by now.
Oh, and as for the bug with WorldPeace0.1beta - it will definitely be fixed with WorldPeace0.9.9beta99 or so. :wink:

ninjagame
"NS" is one of those bizarre programming things with cocoa in OSX. I assume "NS" stands for "NextStep," since OS X is essentially a modern version of NextStep, which Jobs founded after being ousted from Apple.

And English alphabet soup?! You guys have extra letters! I mean "ß"?! What is "ß"?! And "ö, ä and ü"? That's just plain cheating! ;) Now, if you want to razz English a little, you have to go after the grammar. The standard joke is that "English is the kind of language that roughs up other languages in dark alleys and goes through their pockets for loose grammar." I mean, English only recently stopped capitalizing nouns! ;)

I do wish we had those compound nouns, though. Man I loved those when I was studying German.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

"NS" is one of those bizarre programming things with cocoa in OSX. I assume "NS" stands for "NextStep," since OS X is essentially a modern version of NextStep, which Jobs founded after being ousted from Apple.

And English alphabet soup?! You guys have extra letters! I mean "ß"?! What is "ß"?! And "ö, ä and ü"? That's just plain cheating! Wink Now, if you want to razz English a little, you have to go after the grammar. The standard joke is that "English is the kind of language that roughs up other languages in dark alleys and goes through their pockets for loose grammar." I mean, English only recently stopped capitalizing nouns! Wink

I do wish we had those compound nouns, though. Man I loved those when I was studying German.
Thank a lot, I should've thought of it!
With alphabet soup I mean things like FBI, CIA, NSA, USN, USMC, NYPD, YMCA and the like (well, those I know, anyway, and some more, for that matter...)
English grammar isn't so bad, I think. In my experience as a learner of English phonetics is much worse: Just think of the pronounciation of the vowel "u" in words like "bus", "busy", "butcher", "union", "urgent", "unable", or the "o" in "woman" vs. "women" and so on. An American once told me, if you haven't heard a word before you wouldn't know for sure how to pronounce it if you just saw it written...
So you studied German. Sehr interessant. How come?
The "ß" is a unique German speciality BTW and even if some ultra PC Germans consider it a fascist relic, I'm happy to have it. Why cheating? It's just adding some flavor...:wink: The umlauts, though, are also being used in Turkish, for example.
And the compound nouns, of course.
But I'm afraid I'm getting carried away. Thanks again for enlightening me regarding "NS".

ninjagame
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

ninjagame wrote: And the compound nouns, of course.
What's that academic word? Vergangenheitsbewältigung?

Beautiful. Takes a whole sentence in English to articulate that idea.
ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Yeah, ain't that one great? More often than not, it's the other way round...

ninjagame
gemboy27

in a hurry

Post by gemboy27 »

ninjagame wrote:An American once told me, if you haven't heard a word before you wouldn't know for sure how to pronounce it if you just saw it written...

ninjagame
I was just having a similar discussion with the mother of a sixth grade girl who reads a LOT and she tries to stick her new vocabulary into the conversation. so she will say: "Mom you are the epi TOME of sweetness."

in stead of e pit o me.

it's why we need world peace NOW

ninjagame

Post by ninjagame »

Now THAT's really sweet :) It adds another problem: Obviously, the word "epitome" is not English but Greek. And in Greek, intonation (and that seems to be the issue with the sixthgrader), while it is supposed to be very straightforward, it has changed repeatedly during history. (Having learned ancient Greek at school, I was completely lost in Greece when I tried to understand spoken modern Greek and make myself understood. Reading Greek street signs or even newspapers wasn't the problem...) And now, to make things worse, apply English pronounciation to it. Same problem with German sixthgraders pronouncing imported vocabulary, btw. That's something I never can get right: Pronouncing English words of, say, Greek or Latin origin correctly... :( .
But if world peace is going to solve the problem, I'll subscribe to the beta...

have a nice one!

ninjagame