Express for Intel (official 2.6.1 beta thread)

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Express for Intel (official 2.6.1 beta thread)

Post by martin »

Hi everybody, just after our 2.6 beta, here we go again! We've made a "universal binary" version of Express. This version will run on all those new Intel machines, but besides that, will have no new features. You can download a beta here:

http://nisus.com/Express/beta/

For those poor souls without an Intel machine (most of us), there's little reason to download this new beta. However, if you just love to help us test, the following areas are those that have been affected and would require the most testing:

- Find & Replace (especially PowerFind)
- Classic document support

Thanks for your support everybody. Cheers!
Last edited by martin on 2006-02-17 12:52:49, edited 1 time in total.
gemboy27

because it's my job

Post by gemboy27 »

I will ask the dumb question: would their be a problem with using 2.6b1 with non-intel computers

Gem*Boy

10.3.9 G4
just about every NWE there is
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
dave
Official Nisus Person

Re: because it's my job

Post by dave »

gemboy27 wrote:I will ask the dumb question: would their be a problem with using 2.6b1 with non-intel computers

Gem*Boy

10.3.9 G4
It really isn't a dumb question, and the answer is it isn't a problem. Express 2.6.1 works on both PowerPC and Intel machines alike.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Yes, 2.6.1 is a "universal binary", which means it works on PPC and Intel machines. This is basically like those old FAT binaries that had 68K and PPC in one. One caveat: universal binaries require 10.3.9 or later to run.
gemboy27

first

Post by gemboy27 »

I can create a new palette group, but I can not add to it. the different palettes like language, style and so on will only operate as a floater, not in the tool window

Gem*Boy

G5 intel 1.83 2g ram
nwe 2.6.1b
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: first

Post by martin »

gemboy27 wrote:I can create a new palette group, but I can not add to it.
This bug and a few others have been fixed for 2.6.1 beta 2. Give it a try if you've got an Intel machine or Panther 10.3.9.
gemboy27

uh hhhh

Post by gemboy27 »

yes, in deed

==

I tried to copy my new document file (.dot) and didn't have much luck, I was able to just adjust it from a file, but it seems the path has to be

~/Documents/Nisus Documents/Nisus Writer/Nisus New File.dot

to the 'Nisus New File.dot'

does that make sense?

Gem*Boy

10.4.4 G-intell
more recently 2.6.b2
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

gemboy27,

Indeed, your "Nisus New File", the file Nisus Writer Express opens when you choose New is whatever file is in here:

Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

I will play with this some more, but it seems that nwe 2.6.1b2 appears to keep making a new file in this path

even if you select the file

~/Documents/Nisus New File.dot

but like I said, I will play with it some this weekend
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.6 Final Now Available

Post by dave »

The final version of Nisus Writer Express 2.6.1 is now available for download.

For those that like to know these things, the release notes can be read on this page.

Thank you all for your help, and remember: If there are bugs, it's your fault.
midwinter

Re: Nisus Writer Express 2.6 Final Now Available

Post by midwinter »

dave wrote:Thank you all for your help, and remember: If there are bugs, it's your fault.
Just so long as it doesn't come out of our pay! ;)
Metalsmith

Re: Express for Intel (official 2.6.1 beta thread)

Post by Metalsmith »

martin wrote:Hi everybody, just after our 2.6 beta, here we go again! We've made a "universal binary" version of Express. This version will run on all those new Intel machines, but besides that, will have no new features.
---snip---
I have NO intention of ever buying any of the new machines with the intel chip. I'm buying one of big G5 machines which will be, most likely, my last Mac. I guess it's good business to change all the rules every few years to create new sales, but I choose not to play. So, Will the development of Express continue to support the "old" machines, or will we be "lost" before there is a truly functional version? Should I just give up and go back to using Writer?

STEVE :shock:
dshan

Post by dshan »

Metalsmith wrote:
I have NO intention of ever buying any of the new machines with the intel chip. I'm buying one of big G5 machines which will be, most likely, my last Mac. I guess it's good business to change all the rules every few years to create new sales, but I choose not to play. So, Will the development of Express continue to support the "old" machines, or will we be "lost" before there is a truly functional version? Should I just give up and go back to using Writer?

1. If you think the reason Apple are going Intel is because they find it "good business to change all the rules every few years to create new sales" you are sadly mistaken. It's costing Apple a fortune to support both architectures and go through the transition, they're risking their developer base by pushing them to go to universal binaries and support both PPC and Intel machines and they're risking losing sales momentum and their customer base by making the transisition. It's a very risky proposition, not a sneaky plot to sell more stuff (in the short term anyway). They're doing it because they see it as the only way to keep their computers (and other gear) competitive both cost-wise and technology-wise with Windows and Linux on Intel. In the long term they won't survive if they don't get with a growing desktop/laptop/server CPU.

2. It is a migration, PPC is going away, one day. By the end of this year there will be no more PPC Macs being produced and the number of Intel Macs will be increasing by leaps and bounds (hopefully). Just as happened going from 68K to PPC and OS 9 to OS X there will come a time when the old stuff will simply not be able to run new releases of OS X (10.6? 10.7?) and will make up a small and steadily shrinking proportion of the installed Mac base. PPC support will be dropped eventually by Apple (remember the OS 9 coffin?) and also by Apple's ISVs. Universal binaries will become simply Intel binaries. To expect any ISV to commit to supporting any app "forever" on an old architecture is, ah, unrealistic.

3. Any Mac you buy today (PPC or Intel) will become obsolete (same with Windoze PCs) over time and will eventually reach the point where it can no longer run the latest versions of it's OS and applications and at that point you are stuck with the last versions of the OS and apps that will run on it. Which they will happily keep doing until the h/w dies and goes to heaven, but they are then simply digital time capsules, not current generation supported machines and software. Most computers reach this point in between 2-5 years.

4. Why do you see buying an Intel Mac as so dramatically different to buying a new PPC Mac? There are already a large number of universal binary apps out there and they're either free upgrades (like NWX!) or being delivered as part of the next normal upgrade the vendor is doing anyway (and would charge for anyway). By this time next year virtually every current OS X app should be available as a UB, and most that aren't will run under Rosetta, so what's the problem? I think having a PPC Mac to tide you over the transition hiccups for the next 9-12 months is a good idea, but why refuse to buy an Intel Mac when it's time comes?
cgc

Post by cgc »

Metalsmith wrote:
martin wrote:Hi everybody, just after our 2.6 beta, here we go again! We've made a "universal binary" version of Express. This version will run on all those new Intel machines, but besides that, will have no new features.
---snip---

The thing that makes a Mac a Mac is the OS. Intel is a good thing since it has a much better future.