Nisus compatible with Intel-based Macs?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

gemboy,

The G5 is a very capable processor, and will run a universal binary quite nicely. The fact that it's compiled as "universal" means that it has native versions for both the PowerPC and Intel chipsets, so both should work at their best potential (given the amount of optimization the developers do). So, NWE should, at least for a long time, run very well on a G5.

Any difference, of course, would come from whether the Intel chip really provides a significant speed boost over the G5.

My hunch, and I certainly have no concrete evidence for this, is that a current PowerMac G5 will run NWE a bit faster in most areas than an Intel iMac. Why? Even if the Core Duo were a superior chip to the G5 (questionable), the PowerMac has superior graphics, hard drive, and a variety of other things. Of course, then there's RAM speed, and we start getting really nit-picky, but I'll happily ignore any useful information that contradicts my hunch.
gemboy27

you were right

Post by gemboy27 »

http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/feature ... /index.php

this article says what you suspected....

you read a lot when you are waiting for your new computer (I went with the intel)

Gem*Boy
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)
dave
Official Nisus Person

Re: you were right

Post by dave »

gemboy27 wrote:http://www.macworld.com/2006/01/feature ... /index.php

this article says what you suspected....

you read a lot when you are waiting for your new computer (I went with the intel)

Gem*Boy
We finally got our Intel iMac on Friday. We did a bit of testing of Express running in emulation (Rosetta) and it functions as you would expect.

Now we can seriously test and produce a Universal Binary version of Express.

Dave
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Cool! When you're done with it, I'd be happy to take it off your hands...
:wink:
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Does it help you if those of us who don't have Intel Macs test the beta version when that's ready?

--Craig
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

cchapin wrote:Does it help you if those of us who don't have Intel Macs test the beta version when that's ready?
In general no, but there will be a couple of specific areas where it would be very helpful. We'll let you know what those areas are once the beta is available. Thanks for asking Craig.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

A universal binary of Express is ready for testing:

http://www.nisus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1366

It's quite speedy on our Intel iMac, a definite improvement. We also have a version of Nisus Thesaurus for you.
Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus

Post by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus »

This would seem like an odd idea for those who haven't used Macs for a long time, but do you think you could make two separate versions—a PPC and FAT? Or is it too much trouble? It would save the bandwidth for you and for us.
PowerPC; Mac OS 10.5.8; NWP 1.4
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus wrote:do you think you could make two separate versions—a PPC and FAT? Or is it too much trouble? It would save the bandwidth for you and for us.
Honestly I'm not sure it would be worth the effort, as the universal binary is just a few megabytes larger than the PPC only version.