Printing problem: jobs keep stopping

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
artadams

Printing problem: jobs keep stopping

Post by artadams »

Hi all-

A short while ago I started having consistent problems printing with Nisus Express 2.5. I'd get a "jobs stopped" message from the printer and when I tried to start the jobs again they would simply refuse to start. The printer stayed in jobs stopped mode until I removed all the jobs.

When I saved the files and reopened them in NeoOfficeJ they printed flawlessly. I don't have this problem with any other program. The problem is not totally consistent but it does happen 90% of the time that I try to print with Nisus Express.

I have an Epson Stylus CX4600 All-in-One printer. The system is a G4 Powerbook running Tiger 10.4.3.

Any thoughts? I emailed Nisus support directly a week ago and have received no response.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Perhaps you've already done this, but have you checked to make sure you have the latest drivers from Epson?

An odd problem to arise, since I assume Nisus lets the operating system take care of most of the work of printing.

If you preview your print, then print from Preview, does that go through all right?
artadams

Drivers are current

Post by artadams »

Hi, Ryan-

Yes, my drivers are current, and print preview works fine. It's the actual printing itself that causes a "jobs stopped" message, and the printer won't restart until that job is cleared.

-Art
joehardy

Post by joehardy »

When I've had printers do that (with a variety of programs) I've usually found that deleting the printer and then adding it again (using the Print Manager program) helps things. I think occasionally printer drivers get confused.
It's not an uncommon problem to have with any number of programs, or sometimes it only causes problems with one.
<a href="http://web.mac.com/joehardy">Blog the Day!</a>
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Another thing I've found with Tiger is that, every once in awhile, things get screwed up like joehardy says. Sometimes, I've had to choose "Reset Printing System" from the Printer Setup Utility menu. You'll have to re-setup all of your printers afterward, but it may solve your problem.

My take on this: in all the Panther computers I service, none have ever exhibited printing problems like this. Then Tiger introduced some, and, it seems, has a "Fix ItTM" button rather than preventing the problems.

Anyway, give it a shot.
artadams

Post by artadams »

I've done the "reset printing system" thing and I've removed and added printers. This has worked maybe twice. Needless to say I don't want to do this every time I print a document.

Except that it's not happening every time. I'm starting to wonder if it's a font issue. I just printed out, via Nisus Express, a document that a client sent over done up entirely in the Times font. It printed perfectly. I'm not sure why my forms always seem to cause problems, but the only reason that I can think of is that I'm using a couple of "non standard" fonts.

Any thoughts on that issue?

Thanks all- Art
cgc

Post by cgc »

Can you print consistently from another program - is this problem isolated to NWE?
artadams

Post by artadams »

Yes, so far this problem has only occurred with NWE. My workaround has been to write in NWE, save, reopen in NeoOfficeJ and print from there.

It doesn't happen all the time, and the only thing that seems to be changing are my fonts. When it does happen to a document there's almost nothing I can do to make the document print from NWE.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

You said you could do the print Preview all right; can you then hit the Print button from there and get it to work?