Express 2.5 Beta Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Jzents

Endnotes

Post by Jzents »

Talisman39 wrote:Hi-

3. Endnotes: It's inconsistently taking me to a new endnote when it's created. Most of the time it will just leave me at the note number I've just inserted...I have to manually go to the note itself (or use contextual menu). Quitting and restarting does not necessarily help this.

Adam
I explicitly tried this one and I also have the same issue with endnotes. I have to manually go to the note, it does not take you there. Tiger 10.4.2 NWX 2.5 b3
Jeffrey Zents
jzents@mac.com
Talisman39

Zoom bug?

Post by Talisman39 »

Just noticed a behavior with 2.5b3 that I don't recall before:

1. Have cursor inserted in text.
2. Scroll several pages away from where the cursor is
3. Zoom in or out
4. You are back to where the cursor is, rather than staying on the page you were just looking at.

Is this a bug? If not, to me it's counter-intuitive.

Thanks,

Adam
15" AI Powerbook
economics

Switching windows

Post by economics »

I checked the Nisus New File.dot -- no conflict, but I went through them all to double-check. I set and then removed the Nisus Prefs key assignment to/from an arbitrary nisus function [command-accent, it wasn't tilde...sorry]. Once I'd done that it worked fine. Thanks for encouraging persistence.
mike
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Writer Express 2.5 Beta 4

Post by dave »

More fixes and enhancements ... especially in the following areas:

NW Classic File Conversion

Keyboard Shortcuts

We would love it if those who have had problems with the above issues would try it out in Beta 4 and let us know what you think.

Check out the release notes, and remember, this is beta software.

Thank you!

<a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta/">Express 2.5 Beta Download</A>
jwx1

Crash

Post by jwx1 »

First document opened:

Host Name: JWMac
Date/Time: 2005-08-16 12:07:31.114 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.2 (Build 8C46)
Report Version: 3

Command: Nisus Writer Express
Path: /Volumes/Master 2/Nisus Beta/Nisus Writer Express beta4.app/Contents/MacOS/Nisus Writer Express
Parent: WindowServer [66]

Version: ??? (2.5b4)

PID: 249
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0fc83b6b

etc.
ProfT

Character Attribute problem

Post by ProfT »

In Beta 4 a document I just completed shows all text bold! It was originally a mixture with bold headlines and plain text in the body. I've changed, saved, etc and it always reverts to bold when reopened. I tried opening with an older beta and it still happens.

Help!
Prof. T.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: switching / cycling through open windows

Post by martin »

gemboy27 wrote:
economics wrote:Most Mac programs let you switch windows using command-tilda, including old versions of Nisus. Since I often have multiple windows open, that is extremely helpful. But there seems to be no such functionality, as of NWX2.5b3. It really degrades the usefulness of the program to me ... but maybe there is a simple workaround using macros, to which I can then assign a key stroke?

mike the economist
open your preferences

go to menu keys
format/style/normal
and reassign the shortcut --- I changed mine to shift command ~

that allows command ~ to work

I need to add ++
sometimes this doesn't work with an older file that has created a normal1 style that has been assigned command ~ as its shortcut key... but the change should work for the new files
[/i]
Gemboy has this right, you can remove the Command ~ shortcut if you do not like it. As for his caveat: in beta 4 we've fixed the bug/misfeature of having style shortcuts loaded from individual documents. Unfortunately we introduced some new (and more annoying) bugs with our shortcuts. But we should be able to clean all these shortcut bugs up by the next beta.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Response to Beta3

Post by martin »

Craig Turner wrote: One question about Tables: when I select the second style (top row and first column are shaded) the top row is formatted centered while the first column is formatted to the right automatically. Is there a reason for this?

Great job guys, I enjoy this version.
Thanks for the praise Craig, always appreciated. As for the table style: we have the alignments set that way because we thought most people would be want them that way when making a table with column and row headers.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Endnotes

Post by martin »

Jzents wrote:
Talisman39 wrote:Hi-

3. Endnotes: It's inconsistently taking me to a new endnote when it's created. Most of the time it will just leave me at the note number I've just inserted...I have to manually go to the note itself (or use contextual menu). Quitting and restarting does not necessarily help this.

Adam
I explicitly tried this one and I also have the same issue with endnotes. I have to manually go to the note, it does not take you there. Tiger 10.4.2 NWX 2.5 b3
We've reproduced this and hopefully will be fixing it soon.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Zoom bug?

Post by martin »

Talisman39 wrote:Just noticed a behavior with 2.5b3 that I don't recall before:

1. Have cursor inserted in text.
2. Scroll several pages away from where the cursor is
3. Zoom in or out
4. You are back to where the cursor is, rather than staying on the page you were just looking at.

Is this a bug? If not, to me it's counter-intuitive.

Thanks,

Adam
15" AI Powerbook
I'd say that's a bug. I will file it, thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Crash

Post by martin »

jwx1 wrote:First document opened:

Host Name: JWMac
Date/Time: 2005-08-16 12:07:31.114 -0500
OS Version: 10.4.2 (Build 8C46)
Report Version: 3

Command: Nisus Writer Express
Path: /Volumes/Master 2/Nisus Beta/Nisus Writer Express beta4.app/Contents/MacOS/Nisus Writer Express
Parent: WindowServer [66]

Version: ??? (2.5b4)

PID: 249
Thread: 0

Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0x0fc83b6b

etc.
Yes, beta 4 is more unstable than beta 3. Rest assured that we've tracked down the problem. I think beta 5 will be a good one ;)
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Character Attribute problem

Post by martin »

ProfT wrote:In Beta 4 a document I just completed shows all text bold! It was originally a mixture with bold headlines and plain text in the body. I've changed, saved, etc and it always reverts to bold when reopened. I tried opening with an older beta and it still happens.

Help!
Prof. T.
I think you submitted your document via the feedback panel. It had a table at the top, correct? If so, I've reproduced your bug and hopefully will have it fixed soon. Sorry for any trouble it's caused you.
ProfT

Re: Character Attribute Problem

Post by ProfT »

Yes. The document I sent had a table at the top. By way of a feature request, the only reason I had a table was to be able to put a border around a text section at the head of the document.

It's not a huge need, but in the future, being able to add borders to text segments would be great. (Or if I missed it and it's there now, I'd love to find out how.)

Thanks for working on it.
Prof T.
shades

Post by shades »

I just noticed a problem in Beta 4. If I type something in parentheses, then I expect the smart quotes to be properly curled. Thus, in the following example:

("just wait until I come," mother said)

I expect the first quote mark to be curved such that it would reflect the beginning of a quote, as normally in "just wait until I come". However, try typing the example, and you discover smart quote puts the first quote sign backward as if this is the last of the quote, rather than the beginning of the quote.

eMac 1.25 GHz, 512 MB
NWE 2.5Beta 4
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Character Attribute Problem

Post by martin »

ProfT wrote:It's not a huge need, but in the future, being able to add borders to text segments would be great. (Or if I missed it and it's there now, I'd love to find out how.)
Currently we don't have borders around text segments, sorry.