Express 2.5 Beta Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
ceffe

Re: Linkback question

Post by ceffe »

charles wrote:Dear ceffe:

LinkBack actually embeds a COPY of your graphic in the Nisus Writer Express document. So it is no longer linked with the original OmniGraffle document. I know that sometimes it is better to link to a file than keep a copy and we are looking at some ways to do this in the future.

Cheers,
-Charles
Many thanks for the quick reply. I think Linkback is a great achievemnt, and I'm happy to learn that you are also looking into linking to the original file in the future.
cheers,
ceffe
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

Midwinter wrote:
I've been giving NWE a workout for the past few days, and the only slowdown I've experienced is when it's in the middle of an autosave to my USB clickdrive.
How do you do that? Where do you tell Nisus to AUTOsave in another location? I am really anxious to do that...
Anne
Ryan

Re: Linkback question

Post by Ryan »

charles wrote:LinkBack actually embeds a COPY of your graphic in the Nisus Writer Express document. So it is no longer linked with the original OmniGraffle document. I know that sometimes it is better to link to a file than keep a copy and we are looking at some ways to do this in the future.
Just to throw in my opinion, I'd also rather have it link to the original file. That would be such a freakin' cool way to work with documents, I would just crap myself.
cgc

Post by cgc »

martin wrote:
cgc wrote:Nisus 2.5 Beta 2 is slow; I can type faster than it can update (on a 1GHz G4 with 1GB memory).
Is the slowness with a particular document or is it slow even in an empty document? If it only occurs in a particular set of documents, please email one to us and so we can have a look, thanks.
The slowness is after starting NWE2.5 Beta 2 with a blank document and typing. No other documents open.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Anne Cuneo wrote:Midwinter wrote:
I've been giving NWE a workout for the past few days, and the only slowdown I've experienced is when it's in the middle of an autosave to my USB clickdrive.
How do you do that? Where do you tell Nisus to AUTOsave in another location? I am really anxious to do that...
I don't. It just autosaves every few minutes when I'm working on the file (which is on a clickdrive).
Talisman39

Post by Talisman39 »

Hi-

I've just been trying the new beta for a few hours and have noticed a few things:

1. Slowness. This is not consistent, but there was one period on one document where I was getting the spinning beach ball for several seconds as I was typing, and even without it the text was appearing very sluggishly. Quitting and restarting Nisus fixed it. This is on a dual 2ghz G5 with 2GB RAM, so it's not my machine :). In this particular case I was working on a 4 page document, inserting text on page one. I have not had any slowness in previous betas or alphas.

2. Crashing. I've had it crash twice on me now. once when I was just typing, the other when I had added a new QuickCorrect item. I have not had crashes in previous versions.

3. Endnotes: It's inconsistently taking me to a new endnote when it's created. Most of the time it will just leave me at the note number I've just inserted...I have to manually go to the note itself (or use contextual menu). Quitting and restarting does not necessarily help this.

Adam
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Adam: I wouldn't expect a reply. I think I killed the Nisus guys sending feedback the other day. ;)
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express 2.5 Beta 3 Now Available

Post by dave »

This build adds a couple of new features:

You can now insert hyperlinks using the menu Insert > Hyperlink.

Added a toolbar item that lets you change your language.

Plenty of fixes too, so please read the <a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/relea ... p">release notes</A>.

<a href="http://www.nisus.com/Express/beta/">Download from here</A>.

Enjoy!
Tzur

Hebrew Fonts, Again!

Post by Tzur »

I've noticed again problems with Hebrew Fonts. Maybe my fonts are corrupted. I used Pninim and Raanana.
Anyway, not all the Hebrew cantillation marks appear in the right place. After the maqqef and some other marks the font continue to appear in Lucida.
With Mellel I use Ezra SIL (windows font), which appears very well, but it doesn't work with Nisus. I do not know if there are Mac Hebrew Unicode fonts.
regards
Tzur
DavidK

Re: Express 2.5 Beta 3 Now Available

Post by DavidK »

dave wrote:This build adds a couple of new features:

Added a toolbar item that lets you change your language.

Enjoy!

In Beta 3 -- I went to my style named "Hebrew," used the toolbar to change the language to Hebrew, and changed the font to New Peninim MT.

The result -- when I selected the style "Hebrew," and began to type, the language listed on the toolbar was English, and the flags on the bottom of the Nisus document and in the OSX menu bar were both American English. Even though the font in the font menu was New Peninim MT, the characters were English.
Craig Turner

Response to Beta3

Post by Craig Turner »

Gentlemen: I apologize for mis-posting on the forum site. Here is the post in the right place:

'Zounds! Opening previously written documents from Beta2 is almost instantaneous! Most excellent programmers! The "font" dialogue just flashed by on my laptop.
Opening a one-page memo document in Word from my colleague was also fast.
Opening a more complex university legalese document in Word was also fast and the formatting looked excellent.
One question about Tables: when I select the second style (top row and first column are shaded) the top row is formatted centered while the first column is formatted to the right automatically. Is there a reason for this?

Great job guys, I enjoy this version.
economics

switching / cycling through open windows

Post by economics »

Most Mac programs let you switch windows using command-tilda, including old versions of Nisus. Since I often have multiple windows open, that is extremely helpful. But there seems to be no such functionality, as of NWX2.5b3. It really degrades the usefulness of the program to me ... but maybe there is a simple workaround using macros, to which I can then assign a key stroke?

mike the economist
DavidK

Re: switching / cycling through open windows

Post by DavidK »

economics wrote:Most Mac programs let you switch windows using command-tilda, including old versions of Nisus. Since I often have multiple windows open, that is extremely helpful. But there seems to be no such functionality, as of NWX2.5b3. It really degrades the usefulness of the program to me ... but maybe there is a simple workaround using macros, to which I can then assign a key stroke?

mike the economist
Command~ works fine for me to switch windows. I am using 10.4.2 on an iBook, if that makes a difference.
ceffe

Post by ceffe »

economics wrote:Most Mac programs let you switch windows using command-tilda, including old versions of Nisus.
mike the economist
I didn't know that shortcut. Yet I agree that it is very useful to toggle between windows within an app. I've set it up in system preferences (keyboard and mouse). I use command f10 (to keep it close to the exposé show all windows in app).
gemboy27

Post by gemboy27 »

economics wrote:Most Mac programs let you switch windows using command-tilda, including old versions of Nisus. Since I often have multiple windows open, that is extremely helpful. But there seems to be no such functionality, as of NWX2.5b3. It really degrades the usefulness of the program to me ... but maybe there is a simple workaround using macros, to which I can then assign a key stroke?

mike the economist
open your preferences

go to menu keys
format/style/normal
and reassign the shortcut --- I changed mine to shift command ~

that allows command ~ to work

I need to add ++
sometimes this doesn't work with an older file that has created a normal1 style that has been assigned command ~ as its shortcut key... but the change should work for the new files
[/i]
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)