Indent on toolbar

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
hgm

Indent on toolbar

Post by hgm »

The toolbar indent isn't set as a block indent - the first line extends to the left (I forget the name for that). How do I change the default, so if I indent a quotation from the toolbar it will automatically go as a block? I would like it to do that in all documents.

Thanks
charles

Post by charles »

I think the word you are looking for is a "hanging" indent. This is intended to help you with doing lists and such.

You can try using the "Block Quote" paragraph style for your needs. Click on the little blue P square at the bottom of the window.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
hgm

Post by hgm »

That indents the first line, so it doesn't work either. I would like to be able to highlight a paragraph, click on the indent logo on the toolbar, and just have it go in as a block text quote. Since I use that feature all the time, I would like to have it be a default. As it stands, I need to correct the formatting each time I do it.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Funny, changing the style to Block Quote does exactly what it should for me (selecting the text then clicking the P tag and choosing Block Quote indents the whole paragraph).

You can also drag the little bitty blue thing in the ruler that's right underneath the two triangle blue things. If you drag the little one, it brings both indents along, indenting the entire paragraph. You can then further indent the first line if you like.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

charles wrote:I think the word you are looking for is a "hanging" indent. This is intended to help you with doing lists and such.

You can try using the "Block Quote" paragraph style for your needs. Click on the little blue P square at the bottom of the window.

-Charles
IMO, that's really fairly counter-intuitive. The indent button on all the other WPs I've ever used has blocked the selected text by a specific amount. I would suggest a hanging indent style instead and setting the indent button to block the text (and then changing the "indent" icon to reflect that).
hgm

Post by hgm »

I agree with midwinter. It is easy to correct the style, but the reason for having an icon on the toolbar is so that something is easy to use. I'd bet that the overwhelming number of people who indent want a block style.

Harris