Express 2.5 Beta Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Tzur

Hebrew punctuation in Nisus 2.5

Post by Tzur »

I've noticed that it is impossible with Nisus 2.5 (not in 2.13) to write Vocalized Hebrew. All the letters with Hebrew punctuation are only in Lucida font and cannot be changed. Is there anyone with the same problem?
thanks
Tzur
martin
Official Nisus Person

Re: Hebrew punctuation in Nisus 2.5

Post by martin »

Tzur wrote:I've noticed that it is impossible with Nisus 2.5 (not in 2.13) to write Vocalized Hebrew. All the letters with Hebrew punctuation are only in Lucida font and cannot be changed. Is there anyone with the same problem?
thanks
Tzur
This bug should be fixed in the next beta we release. Let us know if you have any troubles with it after that.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express 2.5 Beta 2 Now Available

Post by dave »

Lots of fixes in this one. Please read the release notes before submitting bugs.

Download from <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express/beta"> the beta page</A>.

Enjoy!
Tzur

Re: Still on Hebrew punctuation in Nisus 2.5

Post by Tzur »

I've downloaded Nisus 2.5b2.
Still I have problems with the Hebrew punctuation. Now it is possible to have all the text in the same fonts (like Pninim, Gutmman or others) but the vowels do not display properly (this doesn't happen in mellel and others).
For istance: bet + dagesh + qamatz do not appear together: in some fonts do not appear at all (pninim, raanana) and in others not in the right place (Ezra, Guttman, etc.).
I use Mac Os Tiger.
Sorry for my English and thank you
Tzur
hatchmo

Format as Web Link

Post by hatchmo »

A new feature in 2.5, that I cannot find in the documentation or in the release notes, is HTML formatting.

If I copy a link from a Web page in Safari and paste it into a Nisus Writer 2.5 document, it appears as a proper link. In other words, it's colored and underlined -- but the "http://www....etc." is invisible. The cursor even changes into a hand when you point at the link.

This does not happen when you drag-and-drop the link, nor does it happen in Version 2.1.3.

How do I format my own links this way from within Nisus Writer?
Al Hatch
Yousuf

Post by Yousuf »

Hi,

Are you planing on adding support for classic Arabic fonts, OTF and windows Arabic fonts?
cgc

Post by cgc »

Nisus 2.5 Beta 2 is slow; I can type faster than it can update (on a 1GHz G4 with 1GB memory).
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

cgc wrote:Nisus 2.5 Beta 2 is slow; I can type faster than it can update (on a 1GHz G4 with 1GB memory).
I've been giving NWE a workout for the past few days, and the only slowdown I've experienced is when it's in the middle of an autosave to my USB clickdrive.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Odd. I had slight slowdown with earlier versions, but now the 2.5b2 seems to be fairly zippy for my typing.

Oh, and I'm on a 700MHz iBook G3 with 640MB of RAM.
ceffe

Linkback question

Post by ceffe »

Hi,
This is not so much feedback as a question. I've just played briefly with the beta and with the beta for omnigraffle 4.
I think linkback is great, but have two questions that I wonder if any of the betatesters (or Nisus people) can answer.

1) If I copy a some graphics from an omnigraffle document and paste it into a nisus one: Will subsequent changes made to the omnigraffle document automatically update the graphics pasted into the nisus document?

2) So far when I've double-clicked on graphics pasted into a nisus document I've been taken to a new omnigraffle document where I've been able to edit the graphic. Is it possibe to link back to the omnigraffle document from which the graphic originated?

The reason I'm asking is that if there is no real link between the original omnigraffle document and the nisus document using the graphics. I have to consider that when updating the pasted graphics, making a note that the versions in the original omnigraffle document are not of the up to date. (I hope I explained this last bit clear enough).

cheers
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

Tzur wrote:I've downloaded Nisus 2.5b2.
Still I have problems with the Hebrew punctuation. Now it is possible to have all the text in the same fonts (like Pninim, Gutmman or others) but the vowels do not display properly (this doesn't happen in mellel and others).
For istance: bet + dagesh + qamatz do not appear together: in some fonts do not appear at all (pninim, raanana) and in others not in the right place (Ezra, Guttman, etc.).
I use Mac Os Tiger.
Tzur
I have not noticed any of the above behavior with 10.4.2 and either the New Peninim or the Raanana fonts. Letters, d'gashim, and vowels work perfectly, except that I have to memorize a whole new system of using shift and option keys to use them.

However, I have noticed the following odd behaviors:
  • 1) In a 5 page Hebrew document, any change to a style takes a long time (20-30 seconds) to apply, before the spinning beach ball goes away.
    2) Even though I have created a "Hebrew" style, defined the language as Hebrew within the style, selected the entire text (which is a Hebrew text), and applied that style to the whole document -- if I click anywhere on the document, within a word or sentence or at the end of a paragraph, both the flags at the bottom of the Nisus screen and on the menu bar indicate an American English text.
    3) In order to convert old Hebrew NisusWriter files to NWE files, I first need to open the file, select all the Hebrew, and change the font to New Peninim or Raanana (spelled in English letters). The pre-OSX New Peninim and Raanana fonts were spelled in Hebrew, and unless I open the file in classic and change the fonts, when I open the files in NWE the Hebrew appears as gibberish.
    4) Every time I open a NW file in NWE, an unwanted copy of the NW files is created.
charles

Re: Linkback question

Post by charles »

Dear ceffe:

LinkBack actually embeds a COPY of your graphic in the Nisus Writer Express document. So it is no longer linked with the original OmniGraffle document. I know that sometimes it is better to link to a file than keep a copy and we are looking at some ways to do this in the future.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

DavidK wrote:1) In a 5 page Hebrew document, any change to a style takes a long time (20-30 seconds) to apply, before the spinning beach ball goes away.

If you can, please email your document to sneakpeek@nisus.com. We'll see if there's anything we can do.
DavidK wrote:2) Even though I have created a "Hebrew" style, defined the language as Hebrew within the style, selected the entire text (which is a Hebrew text), and applied that style to the whole document -- if I click anywhere on the document, within a word or sentence or at the end of a paragraph, both the flags at the bottom of the Nisus screen and on the menu bar indicate an American English text.

This is a bug that will be fixed in the next beta.
DavidK wrote:3) In order to convert old Hebrew NisusWriter files to NWE files, I first need to open the file, select all the Hebrew, and change the font to New Peninim or Raanana (spelled in English letters). The pre-OSX New Peninim and Raanana fonts were spelled in Hebrew, and unless I open the file in classic and change the fonts, when I open the files in NWE the Hebrew appears as gibberish.

We're working on a feature right now that will hopefully remove this step for you. The problem is that in Classic files the font and characters are intertwined. Without knowing specifics about the font, we can't know what the original characters in your document were supposed to be. Since the pre-OSX Hebrew fonts names are unknown to Nisus Writer Express, we know nothing about the characters written in the font. Our new feature will warn you of missing fonts when opening Classic files and allow you to specify which encoding they should be.
DavidK wrote:4) Every time I open a NW file in NWE, an unwanted copy of the NW files is created.
I'm not sure I understand this problem. You are saying that whenever you open a Classic file (eg: using the "File > Open" menu) a duplicate of the document magically appears at the same location as the original?
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

cgc wrote:Nisus 2.5 Beta 2 is slow; I can type faster than it can update (on a 1GHz G4 with 1GB memory).
Is the slowness with a particular document or is it slow even in an empty document? If it only occurs in a particular set of documents, please email one to us and so we can have a look, thanks.
martin
Official Nisus Person

Post by martin »

Tzur wrote:I've downloaded Nisus 2.5b2.
I use Mac Os Tiger.
Tzur
I just tried typing bet + dagesh + qamatz in the New Peninim font and they appear just fine in beta 2:

Are you seeing something different? If you are, please email a document that shows the problem to sneakpeek@nisus.com.