Is there any faster way to download alpha?

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Timothy Huang

Is there any faster way to download alpha?

Post by Timothy Huang »

I'm trying to download the latest alpha (7). However, just like the previous, the download speed is so slow, usually less than 1K per second. (my download speed from other sites are usually 30 - 150K per second).

So, I wonder if there is any faster way to do this. :?:
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I'm downloading alpha 7 now, and it's coming through at 88 to 90 kB per second. Maybe you had lots of competition at that time. Other than that possibility, I'm not sure.

--Craig
cgc

Post by cgc »

I just DL'd Alpha 7 at about 350KBps (that's about 2.8Mbps). Seems fine.
shades

Post by shades »

From someone who is downloading over dialup, any of those speeds are blazing!!!

@ 4.4 kb/sec it takes over an hour to download.

Of course, it took overnight (10 hours) to download NeoOffice/j, so....
MBP 2.4 GHz, OS X 10.5.6
NWP 1.2, Mellel 2.6, iWork 08
charles

Post by charles »

Timothy:

I'm not sure why you are experiencing problem with our download. We use a service called FileBurst to host our downloads that we pay extra for specifically to keep downloads fast. Please try it again and let us know if you are still having problems.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Timothy Huang

Post by Timothy Huang »

I think the problem is not at your end, but somewhere between here in Taiwan to there.

Somehow, after I upgraded to Tiger, my existing router and hub (which I used for years) started to behave very strangely. As now, if I connect my hub, the whole local area network will be slowed down to an unbearable speed. With Mac OS 10.3x, I don't have this problem.

Anyhow, I downloaded the alpha 7. Thanks. It works much better than the previous.
cgc

Post by cgc »

I have problems with my Internet staying active since upgrading to Tiger. Interesting...everything else works but Internet access intermittently in unavailable, only in Tiger.
Timothy Huang

Slow Tiger Internet

Post by Timothy Huang »

One thing I noticed after I upgraded to Tiger -- my internet connection speed slowed down significantly.

As I described, after I changed to Tiger, my existing network started to behave strangely with the same exisiting hardware/setup (cable modem to router to hub).

When just I am accessing to internet, the speed is OK. However, if my wife also are using internet, then, significant speed drop -- very slow. And, when a pc is connected to the hub, then, the speed will drop to less than 0.1 K!

Does anyone encounter similar situation?
Robin

Post by Robin »

It seem like a lot of things are slower (or take longer to open) with Tiger. Could it be Dashboard and/or Spotlight?
Robin
brifer

Re: Is there any faster way to download alpha?

Post by brifer »

Timothy Huang wrote:I'm trying to download the latest alpha (7). However, just like the previous, the download speed is so slow, usually less than 1K per second. (my download speed from other sites are usually 30 - 150K per second).

So, I wonder if there is any faster way to do this. :?:
----
Using Speed Download 3.0.11, OS X 10.4.2 and a cable conection and modem, I was able to download *nw-v25-b1.zip* from the Nisus site on 21 July at a speed of 416.7 KB/s. Time: 0600 GMT.
I suggest the critical factors here would be, firstly, the cable connection and then use of Speed Download 3 <www.yazsoft.com>; I am a registered user only. But SD is not limited to cable or to Tiger. It has been around for a couple of years and is still being updated.
Maybe that at the time you tried to download NWE, the Nisus Server may have been busy.
Also your local area usage may have been very heavy.
But 1 K/s is awfully slow, almost drop-out speed.