Mail merge

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
brians

Mail merge

Post by brians »

I'm fairly new to Nisus Express, and like it a lot. I have been using it for some quite big projects. I wondered if there is a mail merge facility. Looking at previous postings, it seemed that it was available in the classic version.

Thanks for any information on this,

Brian
:)
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Hi, Brian. At this point, there doesn't seem to be a mail merge feature. This has been mentioned before on the forum, and I hope the folks at Nisus will add it eventually. I imagine it might be possible to do something with AppleScript and a database or spreadsheet application, but that is beyond my humble abilities.

--Craig
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Brian and Craig,

Mail Merge is "on the list". It gets mentioned as a request periodically, not nearly as often as a variety of other features.
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Pepechin

Post by Pepechin »

This is the only reason I don't buy Nisus.

I'm stuck with Appleworks when I would like to use Filemaker and Nisus.

I request Mail Merge.
I request Mail Merge.
I request Mail Merge.
I request Mail Merge.
I request Mail Merge.
I request Mail Merge.
I request Mail Merge.
Mick

Post by Mick »

I come back every few months to see if it's been added as a large percentage of my letters are mail merged from Filemaker into Word. I'm happy with Filemaker! :( My demo lies unused on my hard drive. :( :(
rmark
Official Nisus Person

Post by rmark »

Mick,

You'll notice that there's not a lot of call for mail merge. I do get requests, and it is on the list, but it's not one of those "squeaky hinges".
Write On!
Mark Hurvitz
Nisus Software Inc.
Mick

Post by Mick »

Thank you Official Nisus Person - I had guessed that was the case, it's just that I really have no use for NE until it does have it. I'll keep popping back from time to time to continue my checks.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Since I don't think I've ever requested it formally, I'll add my vote to the list of those requesting mail merge.

It isn't a make-or-break feature for me at this point, but I need it from time to time. I used it regularly in the past in my WordPerfect days and will probably need to use regularly again in the future.

--Craig
MikeKazlow

Post by MikeKazlow »

For most of my technical work, I use FrameMaker. It doesn't do mailmerge. I wouldn't expect it to, since it is a DTP program. However, I do expect decent WP programs to have mailmerge. A decent wp program needs to meet the needs of many different task masters. Wordsmiths want the program to stay out of their way and let them write (somethin Word doesn't do). Business users need mailmerge. Unless you want Nisus to stay a niche program, I think mailmerge is a must---even if I haven't used mailmerge in years. I could never recommend a WP program that didn't have mailmerge.

...Mike
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

It is possible to do mail merge using macros. If you look through the Nisus List archives: http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/archives/nisus.html
for June 2003 you will find e-mails from David Linker explaining how to use his macro.
I have been able to use the macro for simple mail merge tasks like creating address labels.
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

GeoffRoynon wrote:It is possible to do mail merge using macros. If you look through the Nisus List archives: http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/archives/nisus.html
for June 2003 you will find e-mails from David Linker explaining how to use his macro.
I have been able to use the macro for simple mail merge tasks like creating address labels.
I found the message with the merge macro on the Dartmouth/Nisus forum here:
http://listserv.dartmouth.edu/scripts/w ... R2547&I=-3

However, when I tried to download the macro file it required a password to the listserv, which I do not have. Can anyone post the file in a more accessible location?
GeoffRoynon

Post by GeoffRoynon »

I also cannot download from the archive site and have no idea what the password is.
If you send me your e-mail address off-list I will send a copy of the merge macro and instructions.
My address: Geoff<at>Roynon.demon.co.uk

(insert @ in the appropriate place!)
Geoff Roynon
Mac Studio, MacOS X 14.0 Sonoma
NW Pro 3.3
Mick

Post by Mick »

One year on since my last look - stillno mail merge?
SteveSamuels

Mail Merge

Post by SteveSamuels »

Check out the following macros for NWE 2.X, found from a Google Search--I haven't tried them:

http://www.bekkoame.ne.jp/~n-iyanag/nis ... label.html

Steve