Express Sneak Peek Feedback Thread

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
Cosimo

Post by Cosimo »

Peter,

I can't launch 2.5a3 in Panther. What version are you using?

Regards

Cosimo
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Cosimo wrote:Peter,

I can't launch 2.5a3 in Panther. What version are you using?

Regards

Cosimo
I'm using NWE 2.5a3 and MacOS 10.3.9 and it works (as far as I can tell) without any problems.

Magic fingers? :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
Cosimo

Post by Cosimo »

Thanks, Peter.

I'm still loitering on 10.3.8 -- heard sad tales of poor sods losing days (and tempers) with 10.3.9, but pleased to hear it's working for you.

Regards,

Cosimo
cchapin

Ruler quirk

Post by cchapin »

This is a follow-up to my earlier post about a pair of quirks I noticed in 2.5a2 (running under OS X 10.3.9).

I copied my Nisus New File.dot and reset the New File to factory defaults. I then reformatted the New File to my liking. I haven't had problems since then. Even the ruler tag's previously non-functional Remove Ruler item seems to work. I don't have an explanation for that, but it does.

Looking forward to the next Panther-compatible alpha or beta.

--Craig
cgc

Post by cgc »

I guess this is as good of place to post this as any. I would absolutely love if the open/save dialog windows would be changed to sheets. So much more aesthetically pleasing to the eye...
Anne Cuneo

Post by Anne Cuneo »

I'm still loitering on 10.3.8 -- heard sad tales of poor sods losing days (and tempers) with 10.3.9, but pleased to hear it's working for you.
So am I, for the same reasons. And for the same reasons, I am not yet going on to 10.4. We had a poll on cuk.ch lately, there are some 25 % of users still on 10.3.8. Some of us would be REALLY happy to contribute - can you do anything?
Anne
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Am I missing something, or does NWE not seem to know what I want to add some lines between items in a list? If I add a new line in between numbered list items, it starts the numbering all over again.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

midwinter wrote:Am I missing something, or does NWE not seem to know what I want to add some lines between items in a list? If I add a new line in between numbered list items, it starts the numbering all over again.
I haven't been able to reproduce this problem. What version are you using and how are you adding the lines?

--Craig
cchapin

Getting out of a list

Post by cchapin »

I've run into an minor unexpected behavior involving lists and paragraph styles.

I have a paragraph style called List. The style includes three elements:
  • _List Series: Bullet List
    Paragraph Spacing After: 3
    Paragraph Spacing Before: 3
I have another paragraph style called Body Text, which includes three corresponding elements:
  • _List Series: None
    Paragraph Spacing After: 6
    Paragraph Spacing Before: 6
When I press return and try to switch from the first style to the second using a keyboard shortcut, the bullet disappears, but the ruler settings do not change, and the Lists palette still indicates that I'm in a bulleted list. I can't seem to use the Lists palette to get out of the list. However, if I press the Body Text style's keyboard shortcut a second time, all is well. If the paragraph I'm changing to Body Text already has text in it, only one press of the keyboard shortcut is necessary.

This isn't all that inconvenient (once I figured it out), but it is unexpected, so I thought I'd bring it to your attention. I'd normally do that through the feedback mechanism, but it's grayed out. I'm using NWE 2.5a2 on OS X 10.3.9.

--Craig
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

cchapin wrote:
midwinter wrote:Am I missing something, or does NWE not seem to know what I want to add some lines between items in a list? If I add a new line in between numbered list items, it starts the numbering all over again.
I haven't been able to reproduce this problem. What version are you using and how are you adding the lines?

--Craig
I'm using the newest 2.5 sneak peek. Here's how I'm doing it:

I make a numbered list, single spaced, then I hit some carriage returns at the end of the numbered lines. That created empty items in a numbered list, and so I select those lines/items and choose "none" from the list options. This starts the numbering all over again.
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

midwinter wrote:I make a numbered list, single spaced, then I hit some carriage returns at the end of the numbered lines. That created empty items in a numbered list, and so I select those lines/items and choose "none" from the list options. This starts the numbering all over again.
Hi, Midwinter. I don't think it matters a great deal, but I was wondering whether you were using the first, second or third Sneak Peek (2.5a1, 2.5a2 or 2.5a3). I'm using the second. Be that as it may . . .

From your description, I get a better idea of what is going on, and I was able to reproduce it. Thank you.

I think NWE does not let you "interrupt" a numbered list with unnumbered paragraphs even if they are blank unless you check the "Continue throughout document" checkbox in the Numbered List style in the Style Sheet.

The one difficulty that I foresee with this is that you cannot have more than one numbered list in your document. I think that's something for the folks at Nisus to give some thought to for a future release. Having a way to manually restart a list would let one insert explanatory paragraphs in a list of numbered headings. Perhaps there already is a way to do this that I'm not aware of.

The other solution I see -- if you have only blank space between numbered items -- is to change the paragraph spacing for your numbered list to create the blank space you want after your numbered paragraphs. I have actually created a paragraph style (named List) that includes a Bullet List style for this reason.

I hope this helps.

--Craig
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

NWE 2.5a2 has frozen up on me twice this morning under similar circumstances. Since I can't use the Feedback mechanism, I'm reporting here.

In both cases, I had selected text and was trying to select more text. In the first case, I held down the command key to select text non-contiguously. In the second case, I was trying to reselect to include one line that I hadn't caught initially (no command key involved).

In both cases, the text that I dragged the pointer over vanished and NWE froze up.

NWE 2.5a2; OS X 10.3.9; PowerBook G4; 768 MB

--Craig
jwx1

Various bugs

Post by jwx1 »

Various bugs appear:

MAC OSX 10.4.1 G5 1G

Never can get ligatures, no matter what font I use. Haven't seen ligatures since 10.2

Soft return comes and goes, sometimes in the same document.

Same redraw problems, except I get doubled text when scrolling after delete.
Disappears after second scroll.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

cchapin wrote: Hi, Midwinter. I don't think it matters a great deal, but I was wondering whether you were using the first, second or third Sneak Peek (2.5a1, 2.5a2 or 2.5a3). I'm using the second. Be that as it may . . .
It's a3.
I think NWE does not let you "interrupt" a numbered list with unnumbered paragraphs even if they are blank unless you check the "Continue throughout document" checkbox in the Numbered List style in the Style Sheet.

The one difficulty that I foresee with this is that you cannot have more than one numbered list in your document. I think that's something for the folks at Nisus to give some thought to for a future release. Having a way to manually restart a list would let one insert explanatory paragraphs in a list of numbered headings. Perhaps there already is a way to do this that I'm not aware of.
Good. Excellent.
The other solution I see -- if you have only blank space between numbered items -- is to change the paragraph spacing for your numbered list to create the blank space you want after your numbered paragraphs. I have actually created a paragraph style (named List) that includes a Bullet List style for this reason.
Well, the issue on my end is that this was just a simple list of questions for job candidates. We needed to have numbers so we could discuss whether questions needed to be moved around. We needed extra space in between the questions to write notes. The text just needed to be single spaced.

Basically, I'm asking if Nisus can make lists behave more like MS Word does in this.

Thanks for the attention!
gemboy27

Re: Saving palette modifications

Post by gemboy27 »

MacSailor wrote:
phensel wrote:I personally have no problem with the button icons -- in fact, I prefer these to the pull-down menu in earlier versions, because they make it easier to get to the needed palettes quickly. Paul
Same here, I prefer the button icons.
sorry to not be clear and away from the computer for a week, but the buttons is not the issue, it is being able to set up the tool bar so they remain the same each time I use NWE
I have never let my schooling interfere with my education/Mark Twain (1835-1910)