Express 2.1.2

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Express 2.1.2

Post by dave »

Just to let you folks know, it is out. Get it from <a href="http://www.nisus.com/express">here</A>, or open Express and choose the "Check for Updates" feature in Nisus Writer Express, located under the "Nisus Writer Express" menu.

Happy updating!
docbnj

Not so fast

Post by docbnj »

Until they fix the Save function in 2.1.2, you might want to hold off installing it.
MacUnix

Post by MacUnix »

Strange, I have no problem saving files using 'save as', 'save', closing the document window or using the toolbar icon.
But then, I am using 10.3.8, TIger did not land on my doorstep yet.
docbnj

Post by docbnj »

Yes. I am using Tiger with NW Express 2.1.2. I should say, I was trying to use that combination, but have given up.
nkraft

Long startups, hangs

Post by nkraft »

I'm also using the new "Tiger compatible" NWE with 10.4. I haven't noticed any problems with Save/Save As, though I've only occasionally been able to get that far. On my system, NWE hangs up on the "Finding fonts" part of its startup routine. If I try to force quit, it is listed as "not responding." If I wait, it will eventually start, but it takes two to three full minutes to startup.

All in all, it's a mess and not usable with Tiger. Hope the fixes come quickly. I have work to do!
Steph316

Post by Steph316 »

All of Nisus 2.1.2's features seem to work fine for me with Tiger exept for the ctrl-click spell check on red underilned words. WHen I do this, Nisus hangs and has to be forced-quit every time.
Just my 2 cents in acse its affecting others as well.

Steph.
charles

Post by charles »

docbnj: As I have mentioned on several different forums, we are trying to reproduce your issue and we will fix it as soon as we identify it. We are not receiving widespread reports of this problem, however.

nkraft: Do you have a lot of fonts installed? Do you have any custom fonts or fonts from OS 9? When Express displays that message, it is waiting on Tiger to return a list of your installed fonts. Maybe Tiger is not fast about this for some reason?

Also, we have noticed that Tiger will often identify an application as "Not Responding" when it is actually just busy. For example, in your case Nisus Writer Express is waiting on Tiger to give it a list of your installed fonts. It is not hung, its just waiting on OS X.

Steph316: Do you know what spelling dictionary you are using?
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
docbnj

Post by docbnj »

Thank you, Nisus person.
I will be patient, for I love the program.
In the meantime, though, I will have to be using something else which I do not prefer.
nkraft

re: Long startups, hangs

Post by nkraft »

Thanks for responding so quickly. I seem to have solved the font loading problem, not by changing anything in Tiger, but by simply deleting com.nisus.NisusWriter.plist from preferences and starting over.

Now Nisus loads (still a bit slowly, but that's nothing compared to Word), but I have now also found the save/save as problem. I can open documents and make changes, both rtf from Word at work and Nisus native docs at home, but I can't save my changes. I get the error "The document "test.doc" could not be saved." Hmm. This is not a complicated document, no tables, no headers, simple formating. It saved fine before the Nisus upgrade.

The trick of copying the document contents to the clipboard and pasting into a new document does work and the new document can be saved. Not that I'd want to be stuck with such an unwieldy procedure for long.

Looks like I'll also be using another word processor until this version of Nisus is fixed. :cry:
Steph316

Post by Steph316 »

Hi Charles,

Thanks for the quick reply. Although I'm not in front of my Mac at the moment I didn't check which dictionary I was using. I did have the same problem using iBlog last night as well though, so this may be more related to a corrupted plist file. I will check into it further and post a follow up.
Thanks again,
Steph.
Steph316

Post by Steph316 »

Update:
I had a problem with Virex 7.5.1 hoging all my CPU bandwidth, so I uninstalled that (not supported in Tiger) and then I deleted a few preference files. The problem still existed for some reason (spell check crashing Nisus). I went to Dashboard and removed the Dictionary/Thesaurus widget from there, rebooted and everything worked fine. I re-added dict/thes. widget to dashboard and now Nisus runs great. Not really sure what the problem was.
Just my 2 cents.
Steph.
MacUnix

Re: Long startups, hangs

Post by MacUnix »

nkraft wrote:I'm also using the new "Tiger compatible" NWE with 10.4. I haven't noticed any problems with Save/Save As, though I've only occasionally been able to get that far. On my system, NWE hangs up on the "Finding fonts" part of its startup routine. If I try to force quit, it is listed as "not responding." If I wait, it will eventually start, but it takes two to three full minutes to startup.
I ran into exactly the same issue after upgrading to 10.4. and using NWE 2.1.2 and 2.5a.
I also have littleSnitch running and is found out that NWE wanted to connect to my router for IPP (internet printing protocol). I also could not connect my master netinfo database on my server, which holds all computer names.
It normally never connected to my router, since my printer is on a different name. I found out that Apple in all his wisdom decided to reset my netinfo binding settings during the upgrade to 'automatic' instead of the fixed IP address I set in the ' directory access' utility. NOw netinfo is bound to my netinfo database on the server and startup proceeds as normal.