NWX 2.1.2 - Tiger - Can't do save as.

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
jbravo556

NWX 2.1.2 - Tiger - Can't do save as.

Post by jbravo556 »

Installed Tiger yesterday and all is working great except NWX 2.1.2 save as.

Whenever I try to do a 'Save as...' any file larger than couple of KB to any format, I get the error message:
Save

Couldn't save document
with no more details.

If I try it with a very small file, it works; so it's not a write permission issue, it's a Nisus issue.

Any ideas?
docbnj

Post by docbnj »

Yes, I have experience the same problem.

The work-around is to select all in old document, and copy and paste into a new, fresh NWE document. Then you can save changes.

It is tedious, but until they fix this rather major glitsch, it is all you can do.

NWE 2.1.2 has been "unexpectedly quitting" on me rather frequently.
charles

Post by charles »

Hello:

I'm sorry you are having problems with 2.1.2. I have tried doing Save As... several times using 2.1.2 under Tiger with documents up to 150 pages and I have not been able to reproduce your problem so far. Does your document contain any tables, footnotes, or anything other than just plain text?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
docbnj

Post by docbnj »

It has headers with page numbers, but no, nothing else you list.

I was wondering: should I try a free install of 2.1.2? I tried that from the download, but maybe I should download afresh and try again.
delackner

Post by delackner »

If the disk image downloaded and opened the first time, it is unlikely that that re-downloading is going to change anything. That goes for just about all OS X software these days.
jbravo556

Post by jbravo556 »

charles wrote:Hello:

I'm sorry you are having problems with 2.1.2. I have tried doing Save As... several times using 2.1.2 under Tiger with documents up to 150 pages and I have not been able to reproduce your problem so far. Does your document contain any tables, footnotes, or anything other than just plain text?

-Charles
Not really. However, the document must start on anything other than Nisus. So if anybody sends me an rtf file (and I receive about 20 per day of those), then I can't edit it and save it directly in Nisus. I would have to open it, copy all contents, close the window, then create new window in Nisus, paste and save and that would work. Annoying to say the least.

To do that to one or two documents wouldn't be a big deal, but I have to do this quite often.
charles

Post by charles »

Is it possible to send us one of these files you are experiencing trouble with? Just choose "Report a Bug..." in the "Help" menu and pick the file at the bottom of the report form. This will help us narrow down your issue much faster.

Thanks!
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
dshan

NWX 2.1.2 Can't Save or Save As non-NWX documents

Post by dshan »

charles wrote:Is it possible to send us one of these files you are experiencing trouble with? Just choose "Report a Bug..." in the "Help" menu and pick the file at the bottom of the report form. This will help us narrow down your issue much faster.

Thanks!
-Charles
I've sent you an easy repro using a simple RTF file created in TextEdit. It seems to be any file not originally created with NWX.
mirko

Post by mirko »

I just want to add my voice to the choir. It might indeed be the case that the problem is limited to files that started their life elsewhere, but it is not very convenient.
Example:
Do an OCR in ReadIris 9, and let the file be converted to RTF with NE as the default editor.
The file comes up nicely, but it cannot be saved....

Annoying bug!
charles

Post by charles »

Hello everyone:

We have found and fixed the Save As... problem. We posted a sneak peek of 2.1.3, which corrects this and a few other issues at:

http://www.nisus.com/sneakpeek

Or, if you can wait, I believe the final version of 2.1.3 should be posted very soon.

By the way, during our investigation we also discovered that this problem only appears on the FINAL version of Tiger (8a428). The version of Tiger developers were given for testing before Tiger was released did not have this problem.

Cheers,
-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.