Nisus Sneak Peek Page

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
dave
Official Nisus Person

Nisus Sneak Peek Page

Post by dave »

Just wanted to let you know that we have a new page, the Nisus Sneak Peek Page.

These builds are development builds. There will be some stabililty issues, and they will have bugs. You probably do not want to use one of these dev builds for everyday work. They are also not supported, so do not post or send us email asking for tech support.

However, if you are interested in trying some of the new features, such as bullets and numbering, the new style sheet navigator, and right to left input, we are interested in hearing your feedback.
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

Just downloaded it and I was amazed (in a positive manner) by the remarkable speed it showed while the application started.

What have you done with it? Did you rewrite the whole NWE or what's the secret formula? :wink:
Peter Edwardsson
charles

Post by charles »

Voodoo, Peter. voodoo. :)

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
cgc

Post by cgc »

Smoke & mirrors.
cgc

Post by cgc »

Is there going to be something like a "master style" that I can change to affect all subordinate styles for the document? Could I save this master style in my preferences?

I also want to delete all included styles so I can make my own (I'm very picky about aesthetics).
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I think you should be able to do these things already.

To delete styles, just select them and then delete.

To create a master style, create a style. You could have a master character style and a master paragraph style and base the master paragraph style on the master character style.

Then just base all subsequent styles on your master style -- or on a style based on it.

Get the set-up just the way you like it, then make that otherwise blank document your Nisus New File or a template of some other name.

--Craig
cgc

Post by cgc »

Well my demo expired, so I'll have to look into how to reenable it...muahahaha. I need to try it out more before I justify the cost and subsequent frustration of learning something so different. Thanks Craig.

-- Craig #2
Cocoapastor

Already my favorite

Post by Cocoapastor »

I have to say that 2.5 alpha 1 is already my favorite word processor. It works so much better than 2.1.1 for my (probably not demanding) work. The indentation bug is gone. I like what I see of the way lists work. I AM EXCITED BY THIS!
JBL

Re: Already my favorite

Post by JBL »

Cocoapastor wrote:The indentation bug is gone.
That alone almost sells me on trying the beta, but first a couple questions. Can I use 2.1.1 and 2.5 simultaneously? And d 2.5 files open in 2.1.1 with styles intact?
Anne Cuneo

Bug gone, bug still there

Post by Anne Cuneo »

The indentation bug is gone.
It's really gone!!! I have opened and closed a text several times to make sure. ':P'
The hyphenation bug is still there though. When you turn the automatic hyphenation on, it cuts the words quite properly. Then you correct and the text changes places. And then, a previously hyphenated word looks like this: “hyphe---nated”. In the middle of a line, it's somehow strangte.
Anne
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

Very nice work, Nisus! Startup is MUCH faster, and the tabs in the toolbar work nicely. The revision of the Styles interface is MUCH better and is now much more intuitive.

Where's that thread on Macnn or Appleinsider?
charles

Post by charles »

JBL wrote:
That alone almost sells me on trying the beta, but first a couple questions. Can I use 2.1.1 and 2.5 simultaneously? And d 2.5 files open in 2.1.1 with styles intact?
You should be able to use 2.5 and 2.1.1 together. Most preferences that change (like the toolbars and palettes) are stored separately so changes you make in 2.5 will not affect 2.1.1.

And 2.5 files should open just fine in 2.1.1. (Though of course any list styles will not import.)
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
JBL

Post by JBL »

Great! Downloading now!
mrennie

Post by mrennie »

I downloaded the Sneak Peek, and I'm quite pleased with it. I like what you have done with the drawer (i.e. making the different sections available through buttons rather than the dropdown menu), and the revamped toolbar icons look nice, too. The organisation of styles has become much easier because of the list on the left-hand side of the screen. I haven't tried the numbering and outlining excessively, but again, in combination with the simplified styles view, it looks like it's fairly straightforward.
There are, however, two things which I do not like. Firstly, a more advanced use of images (wrapping, fixed on page, etc.) is still not supported (maybe in a later version); secondly, the NWX icon is still as unspectacular (dare I say "boring and ugly") as it has been for quite some time now. It simply doesn't look good in my dock, and while I realise that this is strongly subjective, it's still disturbing me (and it has been doing so ever since I started using NWX).
And finally, if I may make a suggestion: I would really like to see an option to have the toolbar show up as a palette rather than as a drawer. Maybe that's just me, but I prefer having a palette.
That being said: I really like the new version, keep up the good work.
joao

Post by joao »

charles wrote:
JBL wrote:
You should be able to use 2.5 and 2.1.1 together. Most preferences that change (like the toolbars and palettes) are stored separately so changes you make in 2.5 will not affect 2.1.1.

And 2.5 files should open just fine in 2.1.1. (Though of course any list styles will not import.)
In my case, my tooldrawers for 2.1.1 were wiped out when I opened the alpha, so I've had to re-create them for 2.1.1 after using the alpha. I currently don't have an additional partition to which I can assign the alpha, so it makes working with it a bit inconvenient.