Page numbering

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
beetone

Page numbering

Post by beetone »

I can’t figure out how to apply automatic page numbering to a document where I want to number the second page as “1”. The third page as “2” and so on. If I follow the procedure outlined in the “manual” the sequence automatically starts from the first page. I cannot apparently do the job by typing in the number individually on each page because if I enter a number in a header, the same number is repeated on all other headers.
Can anyone advise me?
:?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

I don't recall what the manual says, so forgive me if this just repeats the obvious. Here is how I would go about creating a three-page document with no page number on the first page, the second page numbered page 1 and the third page numbered page 2.

* Create a new document (File > New).

* Type whatever you want on the first page.

* Click Insert > Section Break > Next Page.

* In the tool drawer's Sections palette (now titled "Section 2"), click "Starting Page."

*In Page View, click in the header and edit as you like. Place the insertion point where you want to insert the page number and click Insert > Automatic Number > Page Number.

* Click the body of the document and continue writing.

--Craig
beetone

Page numbering.

Post by beetone »

Thanks for the tip. However, I have already created the document, which consists of a fly-sheet, index and preface (to be numbered using Roman numerals), followed by many pages of text.
Surely it is possible to specify on which page the auto-numbering starts? I thought that this was a standard feature of word processing applications?
:roll:
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

Okay, then try this.

* Open your document.

* At each point in the document that you want page numbering to start over, replace the page break with a section break, using Insert > Section Break > Next Page.

* With your insertion point at the beginning of the section, display the Sections palette and click the check box to the left of Starting Page so that it is checked.

* If the first page of the section is to be numbered something other than 1, change the number in the text field to the right of Starting Page to the value you want. (This generally won't be necessary.)

* Choose the numbering format for that section (1, 2, 3; i, ii, iii; I, II, III; a, b, c; or A, B, C).

* Repeat the last three steps for each spot where you want page numbering to restart.

--Craig
beetone

Page numbering.

Post by beetone »

I have tried this but nothing happens. I am not sure what you mean by the “beginning” of the section but I have assumed that you mean that the cursor be placed in the header. Anyway, I have tried that and also placed the cursor below the header (is this the “beginning”?) but to no effect. Is it possible that there is a step missing in your procedures?
cchapin

Post by cchapin »

When I wrote "at the beginning of the section," I meant in the main body, not in the header. The "Starting Page" check box is grayed out when you are in the header. As it turns out, however, you don't need to worry about being at the beginning of the section. It seems to work no matter where the insertion point is within the main body of the section.

My instructions did leave out two things. One omission I trust was obvious: that you need to put the page number in the header.

The other was an oversight on my part: for each section for which the numbering changes, you should also check the "Different This Section" check box under "Header and Footer" in the Sections palette. This matters if anything other than the page number itself is to be different from that of the previous section. Check this box before editing the header. I'm sorry that I didn't think to mention this before.

Does this added step improve the situation for you at all?

--Craig
beetone

Page numbering.

Post by beetone »

Thanks for your patience.
I have followed your instructions carefully (several attempts) but finish up with all the pages in the “section” with the same starting number.
It doesn’t appear to be possible to “manually” enter the appropriate number in the header on each page, which would otherwise be a (crude) solution, I suppose.
I can’t believe that such a simple (and common, surely) task cannot be accomplished easily - it is no problem on other word processors which I have used.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Hm. I've never used the sections feature before, but I just tried Craig's steps with a 25-page document I had already created, and it worked perfectly and easily. I already had page numbering in the header, then I inserted a section break. Then, with the cursor in the next section (not the header), I clicked the "Starting Page" checkbox and *poof* I had a new page 1.

If every page in your section is showing the same number (I think that's what you were saying), perhaps you at some point accidentally deleted the autonumber and replaced it with a typed number, which will show up the same on every page.

Ryan Miglavs
www.r-blog.com
Anne Cuneo

Page numbering in sections

Post by Anne Cuneo »

beetone, are you using the LATEST build of Nisus? Because this used to be a bug: the manually introduced pages in sections didn't “keep”. Since 2.1 or even 2.1.1, I'm not sure which, it works perfectly. I have checked Craig's method: no problem.
Anne
charles

Post by charles »

beetone:

Are you able to at least get the page numbers to show on every header page. "1" on page 1, "2" on page 2 and so on?

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
beetone

Page Numbering

Post by beetone »

Obviously, from the tenor of the posts this should be dead easy - so easy, in fact, that it wasn’t necessary to include a reference to it in the “Manual”. However, with the various amendments to the original reply and other comments that followed I have got into a tangle.
I am using v. 2.1.1.
I have given up (at least, until I have more time)) and pasted the document into Mellel and completed it. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.
dshan

Re: Page Numbering

Post by dshan »

beetone wrote:Obviously, from the tenor of the posts this should be dead easy - so easy, in fact, that it wasn’t necessary to include a reference to it in the “Manual”. However, with the various amendments to the original reply and other comments that followed I have got into a tangle.
I am using v. 2.1.1.
I have given up (at least, until I have more time)) and pasted the document into Mellel and completed it. Thanks to everyone for trying to help.
Actually it is in the manual. See Creating Documents->Formatting Documents->Numbering Pages (starting on page 86) of the NWX User Guide for details on how to do this along with helpful screen shots to guide you. Hopefully this will prove easier to follow than a series of email instructions.
dshan

Re: Page Numbering

Post by dshan »

beetone wrote:Obviously, from the tenor of the posts this should be dead easy - so easy, in fact, that it wasn’t necessary to include a reference to it in the “Manual”. However, with the various amendments to the original reply and other comments that followed I have got into a tangle.
I am using v. 2.1.1.
Actually it is in the manual. See Creating Documents->Formatting Documents->Numbering Pages (starting on page 86) of the NWX User Guide for details on how to do this along with helpful screen shots to guide you. Hopefully this will prove easier to follow than a series of email instructions.
ProfT

Post by ProfT »

If all that's needed is a blank first page with subsequent pages showing the right page number (i.e. not including the title page):

It might be simpler to select the different first page header and footer option in the sections palette and set the starting number for pages at 0. Then when the page number is inserted in the footnote on the second page, it will show as page 1 and the title page will be without a footnote.

If sections are not needed for other reasons, this allows for correct pagination without the necessity of arbitrary sections.