Next NisusWriter Express Release

Have a problem? A question? This is the place for answers from other Express users.
DavidK

Post by DavidK »

I recall reading something about a planned release of an update to 2.1.1 sometime in March -- any word from the Nisus people on when such an update will be available, and what kind of fixes/new features will be included?
charles

Post by charles »

Hi David:

We are still finishing up our release right now. I am probably going to post something on our blogs about this very soon. I do not expect a final release in March, but we want to put out a public beta sometime near the end of the month or the beginning of April.

This release adds support for bullets, lists, document numbering, and right to left. Our #1 priority right now, however, is fixing all the bugs we can find so you can rely on this every day.

-Charles
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
midwinter

Post by midwinter »

charles wrote:This release adds support for bullets, lists, document numbering, and right to left. Our #1 priority right now, however, is fixing all the bugs we can find so you can rely on this every day.
What about toast making, CD burning, and MP3 playing? These are essential features in a word processor for me. ;)
charles

Post by charles »

midwinter:

We plan on adding those right after we finishing installing the kitchen sink. :)

-C
Charles Jolley
Nisus Software, Inc.
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

I hear Micro$haft's kitchen sink has a garbage disposal unit (but it clogs a lot).

Ryan
www.r-blog.com
rockdiver

Post by rockdiver »

charles wrote: This release adds support for bullets, lists, document numbering, and right to left. Our #1 priority right now, however, is fixing all the bugs we can find so you can rely on this every day.

-Charles
Will the next update include improved Word/RTF support, including such basic editing functions as line feeds (soft returns)?
MacSailor

Post by MacSailor »

charles wrote: We are still finishing up our release right now. I am probably going to post something on our blogs about this very soon. I do not expect a final release in March, but we want to put out a public beta sometime near the end of the month or the beginning of April.

-Charles
The end of March is gone and the beginning of April has arrived (with beautiful weather)… 8)

…but where is the new public beta of NWE? :wink:

/Peter
Peter Edwardsson
Tacitus

Post by Tacitus »

MacSailor wrote: The end of March is gone and the beginning of April has arrived (with beautiful weather)… 8)
…but where is the new public beta of NWE? :wink:

/Peter
Having just fallen foul of the 'long footnote' bug I too am a bit desperate for the next version. The bug renders my file unusable in NWE so I am having to use Word VX. :sigh:

Beautiful afternoon here in the UK Midlands.

Tacitus
History is a nightmare from which I am trying to escape.
Reiner

Post by Reiner »

When will we be the release day of the new beta? the thing I'm annoyed about NWE is that the Nisus guys making promises they can't fullfill.

I'm glad that I made Mellel to my main wordprocessor, things are much better over there.
phensel

A little patience

Post by phensel »

When will we be the release day of the new beta? the thing I'm annoyed about NWE is that the Nisus guys making promises they can't fullfill.
Let's be careful not to exaggerate what they claimed! Looking back to the beginning of this thread:
I do not expect a final release in March, but we want to put out a public beta sometime near the end of the month or the beginning of April.
This is not the same as guaranteeing that the public beta would be out by April 5. A lot may have changed in the month or so since that estimate was given on March 9 -- most of the bugs/features that were originally meant to be addressed may have been fixed but the fixes may have exposed or created a new problem, or one of the bugs/features may have turned out to take longer than first expected. I personally would rather have them release a more finished product (even as a public beta) a week or two after they originally hoped, than a product with one or more severe known bugs that is released "near the end of March or the beginning of April" just to have it out on time.

I would love to have the new version too -- like others here, I've had problems with pagination in documents with numerous or long footnotes. But I'd also like them to make sure that they have actually fixed the problem before they release the next version to us, or else they'd just have lots of users reporting back to them that the problem isn't fixed yet in the new public beta (which they already knew), and they'd get lots of complaints about how after all this time they still couldn't fix all the problems that were reported. It seems to me that the public beta is best used as a way to confirm whether they've actually fixed all the problems they think they have (and to find out whether they've created any new problems in the process), rather than just as a progress report showing how far they still have to go to fix known problems.

Just my opinion,

Pablo
jhecht

Next upgrade

Post by jhecht »

I'm waiting eagerly for the next upgrade, hoping it fixed the spell check problems, which are getting so bad I'm going to have to switch. I don't like check as you type spellchecking because I take notes while on the phone, then fix them while reviewing them. With its multiple bugs and errors introduced when replacing short words with longer ones (when there are multiple options for replacement words), the spell checker is the worst of any I have on several programs. Nisus Express has a lot of good features, but this is becoming lethal.
dshan

Re: Next upgrade

Post by dshan »

jhecht wrote:I'm waiting eagerly for the next upgrade, hoping it fixed the spell check problems, which are getting so bad I'm going to have to switch. I don't like check as you type spellchecking because I take notes while on the phone, then fix them while reviewing them. With its multiple bugs and errors introduced when replacing short words with longer ones (when there are multiple options for replacement words), the spell checker is the worst of any I have on several programs. Nisus Express has a lot of good features, but this is becoming lethal.
Why don't you simply switch off the "Preferences->New Document->View->Options->Check Spelling As You Type" option? (For existing docs it's "Edit->Spelling->Check Spelling As You Type")

I hate interactive spellcheckers too, the first thing I do is switch them off in any program that has 'em.
dshan

Re: Next upgrade

Post by dshan »

jhecht wrote:I'm waiting eagerly for the next upgrade, hoping it fixed the spell check problems, which are getting so bad I'm going to have to switch. I don't like check as you type spellchecking because I take notes while on the phone, then fix them while reviewing them. With its multiple bugs and errors introduced when replacing short words with longer ones (when there are multiple options for replacement words), the spell checker is the worst of any I have on several programs. Nisus Express has a lot of good features, but this is becoming lethal.
Why don't you simply switch off the "Preferences->New Document->View->Options->Check Spelling As You Type" option? (For existing docs it's "Edit->Spelling->Check Spelling As You Type")

I hate interactive spellcheckers too, the first thing I do is switch them off in any program that has 'em.